PDA

View Full Version : Tibor Quick Change and Abel Super 7/8 N

OceanSunfish
01-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Not exactly a "new product" but I would like to hear the opinions of those that have owned the traditional Tibor (riptide or everglades) vs. the QC versions....

Is QC a nice-to-have....

QCs are more $$$..... however, is you're not changing spools, is QC necessary?

With regards to the Abel 7/8 N...... where does this reel fit into arsenal and does it replace or obsolete anything? Is this now the ultimate Bonefish reel?

Is the older Super 8/Big Game 3 frame still a versatile frame to own?

Not that I have an immediate use for these models unless I'm going to attach a line to a car and ask driver to speed away 200 yards. That will be closest simulation to a Tarpon I'll experience for awhile.

Scott V
01-07-2011, 02:16 PM
I look at QC as this, why and when would you ever need to quickly change a spool. I would rather save the extra money needed to get a QC. I honestly think it is the a way the makers of reels thought of to sell more reels. "You may have a nice Riptide, but imagine owning one that you can change the spool out real quickly." I think it is a rip off, but that is just my 2 cents and I am sure there are others that can justify it.

David Lee
01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
..... why and when would you ever need to quickly change a spool.

Handy if you bail in the surf/eat shit face-down in the sand and have to use the last of your drinking water to rinse sand out of your reel !! Ask me how I know this .....

The ever graceful David

Scott V
01-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Ask me how I know this .....

The ever graceful David

I'd rather see pictures, and video would be even better. :lol:

Bob Laskodi
01-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I'd rather use a cheap reel in NorCal suds, as I've never nailed any thing that would require a Tibor/Abel type drag! That's why they make Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbors!

David Lee
01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Bob -

Ask Ted1 about cheap reels and fast surf fishes ..... it's an amusing tale .

Scotty -

Sorry , cameras are banned when I chase things on the sand .

D.~

Bob Laskodi
01-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Well, an Orvis Battenkill really isn't a cheap reel. It's just a heck of a lot cheaper than a Tibor/Abel. And when I drop it in the sand (a common act!) I don't whine and cry as much. Here's what you can nail on a Battenkill Mid Arbor trout reel!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/laskodi/cfb9878e.jpg

David Lee
01-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Beautiful Stripe ! Sensible outerwear , also ....

(Who'd you bribe to get the Pacific THAT flat ?!!??)

D.~

Bob Laskodi
01-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Yeppers, days with no wind and no surly surf are quite rare. And better yet, check out in back of Chris' right shoulder at that hole/rip where he nailed that baby, and you can see that any one can make that cast also! No wind, no surf, & short cast = miracle day!