PDA

View Full Version : Old Bamboo Rod

Hatch
01-02-2011, 07:29 PM
I received an old bamboo fly rod from a relative. It is an Arrow Rod with the name "Marvel" on it. Does any one know how I can find out how old it is and if it is worth more than just an old "wall hanger" Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Happy New Year
Hatch

Scott V
01-02-2011, 08:26 PM
I believe they were made by Hardy.

Darian
01-02-2011, 09:26 PM
With a bit of research, it sounds like Scott is correct. Hardy produced a bamboo rod called the Marvel. Check it out in an on-line article at:

www.landbigfish.com/articles/default.cfm?ID=2558

Further, arrow style rods are supposed to have evolved from the art of arrow making by craftsman in Japan for archers from long ago. If I understand it correctly, the rod style included round cross, split bamboo sections and ferrule less joints. Apparently, still practiced in Japan. The bamboo material originally used in Japan was not necessarily straight. So, the sections were heated to straighten them. Real craftsmanship. Hardy used the heating method to create their product as well.

So, this should get you started to find out the value of the rod you have. Try doing a search on Google under Marvel, Arrow model, Bamboo rods or any combo of those titles.... 8)

Fats
01-02-2011, 09:35 PM
http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

Ask them...

Lincoln Gray
01-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Contact Jim Clarkson at Raptor Rod Works, He would know.

www.raptorrods.com or 530-894-2062