PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 0 - 2wt Creek length rod or combo

tk863
12-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi All,

Looking to buy a relatively inexpensive setup for my son for the local creek where the fish are mostly between 2 - 7 inches, so I am thinking 0wt - 2wt, 6'6" - 8' 6". I am still very new to this so if that is not the right setup, I am happy to be advised and become better informed.

Would be great if it is inexpensive and "ready to go" (rod/reel/line), but also willing to see what might be out there collecting dust that someone might want to sell off that together with some other components would be decent for him.

Sadly, my own collection of gear is very small as I just started in August so I cannot offer anything of interest in trade.

Thank you in advance for looking.

PMs are also fine.

Kneedeep
12-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Dč th'ort fo d'fhčileadh?

In my case, nothing but a smile!:D

Cha b'e sin caora, 'se sin mo chčile a bha innte!:lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-30-2010, 09:43 AM
TFO Signature Series 6' #2 - 2 pc rod = $109.95

TFO Professional Series 8' #2 - 3 pc = $149.95

TFO Finesse Series 7'3" #2 - 4 pc rod = $179.95

Redington CT Series 7'6" #2 - 4 pc rod = $149.95 (w/case)

Ross FlyStart reels are around $50.00

If any board member buys one of these rods and a reel we can through in a good basic fly line. These are all new products.

PS: Most 2 weight rods will cast better for most with a 3 weight line.

ted1
12-30-2010, 10:18 AM
TFO Professional Series 8' #2 - 3 pc = $149.95

Ross FlyStart reels are around $50.00

If any board member buys one of these rods and a reel we can through in a good basic fly line. These are all new products.

PS: Most 2 weight rods will cast better for most with a 3 weight line.

My exact set up, my favorite rod, casts perfectly with a 3 or 4 wt. line, cast anything from a dry to a bass bug on this rod, and the ross reel works well with it. I would love to find a blank in this size, but they only carry the pro blanks up to 4 wt. :(

Rod, reel, line for around $200, not bad at all. I got mine from Kiene's 2 yrs ago and use it more than any other rod. Obviously I don't want to sell it.

I have cast 000wts-1 wts and they would be fine if there were no wind, the 2wts have that extra backbone to cast heavy, wind resistant flies long distances. (70ft+)

tk863
12-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Cha b'e sin caora, 'se sin mo chčile a bha innte!:lol:

Tha sin glč mhath!"

catch&release
12-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Elkhorn has some beautiful 1 and 2 weight rods. You should check out there web site.

The longest is 8ft

mikel
12-31-2010, 12:00 PM
TK...don't know your boy's age or size, but unless your home creek is excessively brushy and difficult you might want to go with a longer, rather than shorter rod. I have a 6'6" 2 wt and love it, but something like 7'6" would be easier to fish for your son. I'd try to get some rods in his hands and be sure he'll be comfortable with the rod length and characteristics. If it's hard for him to use he won't like it as well...good luck!

-Mike

tk863
12-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Mike,

Valid points - so far, he has worked with 7' 6" to 9' 6" rods, and they have all done well for him. The creek is a bit bushy and he has gotten my/his 5wt tangled up in there a number of times, so was thinking maybe shorter would be better, but he has not tried a rod shorter than 7'6" yet. Will see what we can find locally he can experiment with before making a selection - cheers.