PDA

View Full Version : Delta set-up

trouterfan1
12-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Anyone have any recommendations on fly rods for the delta? I'm looking at 8 wt & 9 wt rods. I would like to have a somewhat versatile outfit that I can fish striper and largemouth and possibly shad? I think an 8 wt would get me started for all three species, but with wind and those bigger pole dancers for the stripers maybe a 9 wt would be better? I'm going to stay as light as possible for all day casting as well as have a spare spool so I can fish topwater and subsurface. I have never casted an 8 or 9 wt rod and would love to here some feedback on the best gear for the delta.

thanks,
Mike

Dan Harrison
12-27-2010, 11:58 PM
A 8wt is going to be your best all around rod for the Delta. It will also work perfectly for large mouth. For shad its a little much, I prefer my 6 wt switch. Most of the time you are going to be throwing a shooting head for striper. Fast action rod is best and there are a ton to choose from, TFO, Sage, Orvis, Loomis, Redington all have rods that will preform. For a shooting head I recommend RIO's Custom-cut OutBound lines. If you already have a running line then you can just get a length of T-14 and attach. For top water most use the Rio Outbound short now and you can get alot of use out of a intermediate shooting line. A lot of Delta striper fishing is done in 3-10 ft with submerged weeds and a intermediate really fits the bill.