PDA

View Full Version : Bass Flies

dog
12-26-2010, 09:18 PM
I just finished some new bass flies that are as close to a jig as possible. They are tied on a 2/0 60deg. jig hook and I used large dumbell eyes for weight and the head is 5 min epoxy colored with powder paint. I cant wait to throw these in the delta.

Darian
12-26-2010, 11:08 PM
WOW!!! Those oughta do well up against a rip-rap bank. :D They look heavy. I wouldn't like to have one of those crash into the back of my head.... :lol:

Cmcculloch
12-27-2010, 12:09 AM
How did you do the front feet? It looks like the act as a weedguard also.

dog
12-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Yes this fly has a weed guard made from 40lb stergon leader material. I have fished it in brush and trees and it fishes just like a jig.

Dan Harrison
12-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Looks nice, I would feel good about tossing that in some weed mats.

Hairstacker
12-29-2010, 12:43 AM
Very nice! I think those will be killer for early spring bass before the water temps come up for topwater. I've been working on something similar with lots of rubber legs for just that purpose. :D

Icastnblast
12-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Those are SICK!

What set up would you use for those, Intermediate?

That is exactly the fly I want to start tying and try on the delta!

David Lee
12-29-2010, 02:00 PM
What set up would you use for those, Intermediate?

Not sure what Dog uses ....

But - I like a full floater for my 8 wt. Craw , 10-14 feet of 15 lb. straight leader . Cast to weed edges with at least 10 feet of line on the floor of the boat/in a basket - as soon as the fly touches down , drop the tip to the surface , tuck the reel under your arm , and quickly feed the slack line out while watching the line/leader junction (this will allow the fly to sink almost straight down vertically) - if the line tip pauses/twitches/does anything hinkey , strip-set FAST with both hands .

For non-vertical situations , an I line works great .

D.~

Icastnblast
02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
tied up a bunch of these. Fun and surprisingly easy. Had an opportunity to fish the delta with a buddy of mine yesterday and my main focus was to gain some experience with these types of jigs on a fly rod. The fishing was slow and my buddy who took me out only had one hookup, hes a pro gear guy so I knew I was gonna have my work cut out for me. But as i played with these jigs I noticed they aren't heavy enough to really fish the heavy tules. Will tie a few with 1/4 ounce heads for this application. But I did notice the zonker strips have AMAZING action while stripped slowly and with the weighted heads and upward eyes the fly swims on plane. So I will try a very lightly weighted thingamajig for casting and retrieving, maybe with shad colors or other baitfish. This really opens alot of doors when you are tying your own. This is gonna get addictive, if it wasn't already!

coolrivertx
02-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Those are pretty killer looking! Nice job! Kind of the same idea as my big spoon flies, trying to imitate some of what the conventional guys are using. As for weight, that will be an issue. All of that fur, skin and hair will make those flies sink slower. One thing you might try is micro rabbit or pine squirrel zonkers. A little less surface area might help them sink faster. Just a thought. Brett

Icastnblast
02-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Those are pretty killer looking! Nice job! Kind of the same idea as my big spoon flies, trying to imitate some of what the conventional guys are using. As for weight, that will be an issue. All of that fur, skin and hair will make those flies sink slower. One thing you might try is micro rabbit or pine squirrel zonkers. A little less surface area might help them sink faster. Just a thought. Brett

I actually liked the fact that the zonker wants to float. Gives the appearance of crawdads in defensive mode as well as excessive action while dragging along the rocks.