PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reason ....

David Lee
12-26-2010, 12:46 PM
.... To boycott products from China -

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/hongkongchinausanimalconservationfocus

As a race , we Humans just ain't gettin' it - the Oceans are a finite resource , and once we allow them to be picked clean , they are NOT coming back .

D.~

Darian
12-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Given the traditional attitude of the mainland Chinese, I don't see this practice ending anytime soon.... Traditional Chinese medicine uses things like Gall Bladder and paws from Bears and Tiger Bone wine.... It's difficult to try to change 5,000 years of culture. :confused:

One of the incentives to continue this is evident from our own governments silence on the issue is that it generates sales in US dollars for US and other countries fisherman. :-s

Aside from the conservation issues, I don't understand how we can justify allowing a group of fisherman, commercial or recreational, to cut off the fins of a fish and waste the rest by throwing the rest back into the water.... Shark meat is an edible food source. :nod:

mikel
12-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Aside from the conservation issues, I don't understand how we can justify allowing a group of fisherman, commercial or recreational, to cut off the fins of a fish and waste the rest by throwing the rest back into the water.... Shark meat is an edible food source. :nod:

I guess I don't know who "we" are.

Anyone concerned about sustainable fisheries can vote with their dollars by only purchasing fish clearly labeled as from a sustainable fishery.

http://fishwise.org/

Don't purchase fish in a store or restaurant if you don't know where it came from. Pretty simple and anyone can do it.

Darian
12-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Sorry Mikel,.... The "we" you don't know about is all of us on the earth. The market for fish is world wide. If you're satisfied that you're having some impact on this, by all means continue to be smug and happy in your shell.... personally, I don't think simple solutions to the complexity of this problem will be overly successful in solving this situation.

mikel
12-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Sorry Mikel,.... The "we" you don't know about is all of us on the earth. The market for fish is world wide. If you're satisfied that you're having some impact on this, by all means continue to be smug and happy in your shell.... personally, I don't think simple solutions to the complexity of this problem will be overly successful in solving this situation.

Well Darian, I'm not certain that the collective "we" have justified anything. If you choose to think so, have at it.

I'll continue to ask the merchants I deal with to be responsible. If that's ineffective, so be it. I could do nothing and perhaps in your mind that's the same thing. If so, then that's your opinion and I guess we're all welcome to it

Darian
12-26-2010, 11:14 PM
As welcome as yours.... :\\

Mike O
01-28-2011, 08:40 PM
IMO, If we boycott unsustainable fish, we will not stop the fishery. There are plenty of other humans on the land for those fish in the sea. Overpopulation is the problem...Malthus got one right.