PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake Report 12/24

Troutstalker55B
12-26-2010, 09:06 AM
I had quite the adventure at Eagle, check it here; http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

Fishing is good to very good at the south basin from the Circus Grounds up to Pelican Point. Only 6 days left to fish this legendary lake, I'm going to close it out on the 30th & 31st. If you have never been to this lake put it on the bucket list, it far exceeds a simple trout fishery!

Jon.

Reno Flytyer
12-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Enjoyed the read Jon. Quite an adventure. This coming year, you and I hook up! Here's hoping you've had a great Christmas.
RFT

thekid
12-26-2010, 09:45 AM
This day could of turned into a disaster real quick. Mother nature at it's worst always brings a smile out of a few die hards! Eagle Lake won this day! However the closer is going to be a different story. Look out! Weather looks about the same for this week. were gonna get those fish john!

the kid

Troutstalker55B
12-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Mike,

I really look forward to fishing with you, have a happy New Year!

Hey Kid! We are going to hammer those fish on the closure, you can bet on that!

Jon.

catch&release
12-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Eagle is a very special place. I fished Eagle last June for 3 days for the 1st time ever and started thinking about moving to Reno to be closer to this fantastic fishery!

We did very well but fished a different style, PT's off the points under an indicator in water 10 to 15 feet deep. Last two days we fished out of my buddies Boston Whaler and released 45 fish one day and 62 fish the next day. Just a few in the 5 pound range, but the hardest fighting rainbows I have every caught.

We are going back up this next year again in the beginning of June for sure!

Thanks and enjoyed your report! Please take your time going back up and be safe.

Ernie

Troutstalker55B
12-26-2010, 01:13 PM
catch&release,

It is a very special place, for a good read check out "Eagle Lake" by Dr. Robert Amesbury - Lots of history and info. I know your game well and yes, you really can get those numbers when fishing an indicator over the scud infested rock piles in deeper water. It's a proven productive technique for catching fish there.

I like to fish it the way Jay Fair taught us, waiting for shallow water sippers to come in and feed, and stalking your trout. It's more than fishing to me, It's like hunting. I hope to see you up there next June, just look for the crew with the blue heelers.

Pray that basin gets plenty of rain and snow, the lake is beyond low.

Jon.

catch&release
12-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Troutstalker, I too have been starting to enjoy stalking fish in shallow water and just started this recently at Crowley back in mcgee where the channel runs in. Fish in 1 to 2feet of water and very skitish but are on fire when hooked and run out of that skinny water like a bone fish! I am starting to fall in love with this style of fishing also and have been fishing alot of clear floating which I like alot. Very castable all though alittle memory but not a bad as I though. I am fishing alot of clear floating up at Pyramid also and IMHO feel it gives me a big edge in the shallow beaches over other floating lines.

I have very much enjoyed your blog and posts and hope we can meet up some day and fish together in the future.

Ernie

Troutstalker55B
01-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Fished off Pelican Point area. Low temp -10, high temp 14. Water temp was about 35-37 degrees. Freezing fog hugged the lake until about 10:30, then the sun came out! Rising fish here and there, Jay Fair wiggle tails in Brown, Floro Orange, and Peacok/Black were best. We hooked 11, landing 5. It was really, really cold. For a more detailed report just click on my blog - http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/ Take care and stay warm,

Jon.

thekid
01-03-2011, 07:08 AM
jon I got the flu or I was coming up! a bit cold but sounds like the fishing was better than the week before. Springs coming!
the kid