PDA

View Full Version : More Free Stocking Stuffers

Woodman
12-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Moved this thread from classifieds for better visibility.

I have an old but unused WF-13-I SA line that needs a good home. PM with an address and it's yours. Might make a good emergency fan belt in a pinch.

Also, one dozen trout flies to the first person to answer the following two questions and PM me with an address. Difficult to develop hard questions, what with Google, but here goes.

Keeping in the latin theme...

1. What is the common name of Arundinaria amabilis and what is its significance to fly fishing.

and

2. Who was Andrew Henry, and why is he significant to modern flyfishers.

Merry Christmas

DFrink
12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
1. Bamboo, used to make fly rods.

2. Andrew Henry was a fur trader, the Henry's fork of the snake river was named after him.

PM sent, hope I win!

Merry Christmas, and thanks for the entertainment.

Dan

Moved this thread from classifieds for better visibility.

I have an old but unused WF-13-I SA line that needs a good home. PM with an address and it's yours. Might make a good emergency fan belt in a pinch.

Also, one dozen trout flies to the first person to answer the following two questions and PM me with an address. Difficult to develop hard questions, what with Google, but here goes.

Keeping in the latin theme...

1. What is the common name of Arundinaria amabilis and what is its significance to fly fishing.

and

2. Who was Andrew Henry, and why is he significant to modern flyfishers.

Merry Christmas

Woodman
12-23-2010, 11:25 AM
judges ruling....

1. correct, although I was thinking Tonkin cane

2. correct...Henry's Lake too.

Flies will go in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks for playing the quiz.

DFrink
12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Sweet! Thanks for sharing.

Dan

judges ruling....

joshfish
12-23-2010, 02:13 PM
this has been entertaining. its fun doing a little google reasearch and learning new things about the sport and its history. on the putah creek flyfishing board there is a thread going right now called name that stream. its pretty interesting also.

Woodman
12-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Another dozen trout flies to the first PM with mailing address who correctly responds to...

What are the top three fish species in order based on the number of states that have recognized it as their "state fish"

JW

P.S. no double dippers please

Frank Alessio
12-23-2010, 03:30 PM
According to google the answer is Fish Oil.....Bummer

bonish
12-23-2010, 04:01 PM
OK, since I volunteered to cover these last couple of days, I'm sitting here bored in the office. It would depend on how "species" is defined, but if we go by genus:

1. Oncorrhyncus (Cutthroats, Goldens, Rainbow-steelhead)
2. Salvelinus (Brookies)
3. Micropterus salmoides (largemouth bass)

Woodman
12-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Close, but

Species" is below Genus, but above the subspecies or "race" level...

SHigSpeed
12-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Brookie with 9
Cutt with 7
LMB and Striper with 5 each, but if we're just talking freshwater, then LMB it is?

_SHig

Woodman
12-23-2010, 06:40 PM
SHig gets the prize...although Maine calls Brookie a "State Heritage Fish" so maybe it's 10.

Send me an address...

More to come.

SHigSpeed
12-23-2010, 07:14 PM
SHig gets the prize...although Maine calls Brookie a "State Heritage Fish" so maybe it's 10.

Send me an address...

More to come.

Woo-hoo! Heh...

Thanks man!

_SHig

DFrink
12-28-2010, 07:43 AM
John,

I got the flies last night, thanks a ton. They look real nice. I have been doing a lot of still water fishing over the last 6 months and these patterns look perfect for this application, can't wait to give that bugger a try!

Dan

judges ruling....