PDA

View Full Version : A Little "Hardball" for a Change?

OceanSunfish
12-19-2010, 10:27 PM
http://www.fotr.org/comments/GaramendiLtrSeekingSECInvestigation.pdf

I'd like to hear everyone's comments regarding the inquiry above.

luckydog
12-19-2010, 11:03 PM
That's a diverse coalition behind this letter, commercial fishing and sportfishing interests, together with Native American and environmental groups. Kind of shows how bad things have gotten when groups like this decide to work together.

I'm betting that Garamendi wishes he never received this letter.

Darian
12-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Maybe I'm a bit jaded but this just doesn't seem like hard ball to me....

One scenario: Garamendi receives the letter and delivers it to SEC. SEC says we don't have budget/staff for something like this and we're still trying to complete our investigation of the Bernie Madoff affair or they won't be able to begin until after the damage has been done (it could take years to initiate/complete an investigation). Also, SEC might say there's certainly a lot of info available about the negative financial viability of municipal bond markets, recently. In other words, let the buyer beware....

Another scenario: Garamendi takes the letter to the Congressional Democratic Caucus who tells him that it would not be prudent or good form to submit the request as Senator Feinstein and a number of Democratic Congressman from the valley are supporting the current version of the BDCP (....spell that perpheral canal/tunnel).

Regardless of the merits of the claims in the letter, I don't see anything changing the momentum involved here short of litigation. Maybe this is the first shot in that potential outcome....

OceanSunfish
12-20-2010, 12:57 PM
All good points.... I guess it's a start.

In the meantime, the bargaining/shenanighans continue with regards to water rights, land, Conway Ranch, pipeline easements, habitat, et. al. in Davis, Yolo County, Tsakopoulos, etc.

How are all the various organizations (part time/volunteer) fighting to preserve our fisheries supposed to gain any traction at all when developers, water districts, and LA Metro Water are working for their needs FULL TIME and with significantly more money. Of course, they are fueled by the incentive of making tons of money, otherwise, they wouldn't bother.

It's really gross to what lengths the "american dream" has been stretched.