PDA

View Full Version : Clear cure goo tacky issue

Mr T
12-19-2010, 03:13 PM
I've been tiening with CCG in both thin and thick, and while I like the ability to set it fast (I really like that!), I am still battling a tacky finish. No matter how long I cure it, it stays tacky. I read that alcohol wipedown ater curing will get rid of it, but have not found that to be the case. I'm using pure 200 proof alcohol, and wonder if that might abea reason.

Anyone have a suggestion here?

I've got a lot of flies that I love the look of, but grabbing them leaves smutchz all over my hands and then it gets on the line and the handle; that's not working out for me.

Cmcculloch
12-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Perhaps a wee bit of the 200 proof for the angler might be in order. A little wine for the sauce and a bit more for the cook is what my grandma always said...

catch&release
12-19-2010, 11:02 PM
I was told at the pasadena fly fishing show from Jay Murikoshi who uses this stuff all the time he will coat over it with Sally Hansons hard as nails and it doesnt get tacky.

Jay Murakoshi
12-19-2010, 11:15 PM
C&R,

Correct, I apply a thin coat of Sally Hansen's hard as nail. It does the trick. Just used some tonight

Jay

fishabuoy
12-19-2010, 11:22 PM
They have a new "tack-free" CCG out. However, their page has some suggestions regarding the tack issue solutions until you run out of your current supply.

http://www.clearcuregoo.com/index.html

I started using this about 6mo ago and its a huge improvement over epoxy and other coatings I've tried.

EDIT: Jay beat me to it :)

Jgoding
12-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Buy Bug Bond, it's tack free and has always been so. Bearsden carries it.

Dan Harrison
12-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I have been useing the little medical alcohol wipes. They come in a little packet and are convenient, neat and effective.

catch&release
12-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Jay, you tie some very nice flies!

See you at the Pasadena fly fishing show in February!

Ernie

Mr T
12-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys, thought I could avoid the nail polish step but guess not...