PDA

View Full Version : More MLPA's -

David Lee
12-15-2010, 08:24 PM
250 miles of coast ..... take your flyrod out to C&R a few Perch , you are a criminal -

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2010/12/15/regulators-approve-protected-socal-marine-area/

D.~

Hairstacker
12-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Wow, that's just unbelievable. PaulC, did you just lose your fishing spot? :(

k.hanley
12-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Just a quick heads-up for the Central & Northern surf junkies...........there have been numerous closures put into effect this past winter. We've been losing access for years along the central/northern stretch of the State. Bummer but true.

I recommend checking the regs before heading out this season.
With respect, Ken

Darian
12-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Yep!!! And we did it to ourselves by voting for the MLPA in an initiative.... #-o Another example of unintended consequences. :-s

Anyway, all is not lost. These areas are set up to include subdivisions that vary in levels of activity (fishing?) within them. There're on-line maps of all MLPAs in each area on the DFG website. :)

It's getting fairly complicated to fish in this state with all of the special regs for each type of water. Can you imagine the size of the publications for all of the regs next year.... :shock:

Darian
12-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Just a heads up.... If you're relying on the available publications on-line from DFG, be careful to read both; the maps and regulations. In reading recreational regs and checking out the map for south coast area MLPAs, I found that they don't match. For example, a regulated area for Point Fermin appears in the regs but not on the map. :-\" I haven't made that comparison on the other MLPAs, yet.... :|

mike N
01-27-2011, 09:47 PM
250 miles of coast ..... take your flyrod out to C&R a few Perch , you are a criminal -

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2010/12/15/regulators-approve-protected-socal-marine-area/

You have to have Google Earth downloaded on your system before opening the file. You will also need an unzip program.
They can be found for free via a google search.

D.~

Pull a snail off the bottom in the wrong spot, pull kelp, collect a sea shell too.

Who loves ya baby? Here is a link to the MLPA closure areas. I'll let you guys vet it.

http://spearboard.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71524&d=1205892023

I will refrain from posting my opinions about the MLPA. Research it if you are interested and I hope the link works for you.

MN

Larry S
01-28-2011, 05:46 PM
This process has been so corrupt! My new thoughts about winning the lottery would
be to afford a legal team to take it to the higher courts. The conflicts of interest
are just outrageous.
Larry S

PaulC
02-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Wow, that's just unbelievable. PaulC, did you just lose your fishing spot? :(

We will lose a couple spots in my neck of the woods.
Earlier proposals were a bit more scary than what is currently on the slate to be implemented.
There were some SMRs that were in SMCA clothing, etc.

The angling community down here did put up a pretty good fight, but unfortunately much of this was going to railroad through despite any logical arguments for lack of funding, slot limits, how to enforce, lack of any historical scientific data on proposed areas of closure, etc.

A friend put it best a while back, MLPA = Most Likely Poaching Areas.
We have DFG officers down here that are great, but spread thin.
I run into one maybe once every 3-5 years and I'm out there quite a bit.

It could have been worse, and hopefully angling groups will fight this through the courts.

-Paul

Darian
02-16-2011, 09:48 AM
RFP's for monitoring and.... Following is an excerpt of text from an e-mail received from "the team". Check it out:

"South Coast MPA Baseline Program Request for Proposals
Proposal due date: 5:00 pm PDT, Thursday, April 7, 2011

California Sea Grant is pleased to announce a Request for Proposals (RFP) for California's South Coast Marine Protected Areas (MPA) Baseline Program.
The South Coast MPA Baseline Program is a collaborative effort among the State Coastal Conservancy, California Ocean Protection Council (OPC), California Department of Fish and Game, MPA Monitoring Enterprise (a program of the California Ocean Science Trust) and California Sea Grant. The OPC has authorized up to $4,000,000 to support the Baseline Program.
Proposals are requested for projects that contribute to meeting the purposes of the Baseline Program, which are:
1. 1. To provide a summary description, assessment and understanding of ecological and socioeconomic conditions in the South Coast region, inside and outside MPAs designated under the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA), at or near the time of MPA implementation; and
2. 2. To measure initial ecological changes and the short-run net benefits or costs to consumptive and non-consumptive user groups following MPA implementation.
Project Duration: Awards are expected to be made in July 2011. Proposals will be accepted for projects of any duration, but projects must be completed no later than March 31, 2014."

The two items shown as deliverables are high level but seem a bit of an overreach. Assessing/understanding "....the socioeconomic conditions in the South Coast Region, inside and outside MPA's...." probably won't result in any useful info for the purpose of "the team" but there's $4 million available for some lucky bidders.

Wait a while. After finishing off the north coast, "the team" is heading for San Francisco Bay....

Larry S
02-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Looking at the home page for the OPC, I find that one of the two "public members" is
Susan Golding. Former mayor and one of the leading architects of San Diego's
financial problems. Also, a member of a Blue Ribbon Committee during the MLPA
process. My gawd! What a game of musical chairs these people play. Pogo was right -
"we have met the enemy and he is us."

Darian
02-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Does anyone have any idea what the H__l "....socioeconomic conditions in the South Coast region, inside and outside MPAs...." have to do with conservation/protection of marine resources :?: :?:

In my minds eye, I can see a survey taker calling on residence in Compton/Long Beach and asking one of the homies how establishment of the MLPA has affected their socioeconomic status.... :lol: :lol:

Larry S
02-16-2011, 02:44 PM
My take on this is that the scientists and quasi-scientists involved in the MLPA
process require "care and feeding." They depend on grants for survival. There is
a lot of money, private and public, for the taking. Hence, the studies.
Wouldn't it have made sense to attempt somehow an inventory of the proposed MLPA's
and neighboring areas before enacting them? How else will we know of any successes?
Reading the bios of the staff members of those organizations listed above provides a
good insight into how those dollars will be awarded and spent.
I did notice that none of them state hunting or fishing as an avocation.

I may apply for some of those dollars to fund my own study. Maybe just for gasoline.
I will ask that I be given permission to surf fish inside the MLPA's and compare my
catch results with those from outside areas. Be happy to share those data.

Pimpinmeat
02-17-2011, 10:46 AM
I did notice that none of them state hunting or fishing as an avocation.

Did any of them list tree hugging or granola eating as an avocation.

I stand to lose every area that I've fished since I was kid. I have not purchased a Sport Fishing Ocean Enhancement Validation this year because I'm so upset about this. I know I will eventually because I'm going to want to fish some spots for the last time but next year I'm leaving this crazy state. To many policies that don't make sense and to many crazy groups trying to enforce there on beliefs the rest of the population. The MLPA is a joke.

Darian
02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
I swore I wouldn't be doing this stuff again but.... :rolleyes:

First, a couple of thoughts about the current state of availability of PUBs re: MLPA boundaries. Went to my local office of DFG and asked if there were any handouts or booklets available there :?: Answer: none. You must order/purchase them from headquarters or print them out from on-line sources. The North-Central Coast booklet is at least 26 pages thick. There're are 5 districts; each with their own booklet. I thought this might be due to the current budget situation but Nooooo!!! Apparently, this is a move to expand use of the internet for dissemination of info. As a test, I tried printing two pages in the center of the booklet. The pages printed were not the pages I selected. :|

I asked if there's any plan to post signs indicating where the boundaries of these reserves are located :?: Answer; none. No signs will be posted. There are two sources that contain this information. First, is the F&G Reg's booklets (reflects GPS coordinates, etc.). The other is on-line at the DFG website. On the website are maps that illustrates where each of these areas are along the coastline. However, the maps are imprecise. DFG cautions users to refer to the regs for accurate information about their legal boundaries. So, if you're fishing close to one of those areas you might want to carry a handheld GPS to avoid a trespass. :|

I've not been a big fan of this process but have found some interesting information related to the underlying reasons for the need for MLPA's and the answer to a question I posed in a post, above; 'Does anyone have any idea what the H__l "....socioeconomic conditions in the South Coast region, inside and outside MPAs...." have to do with conservation/protection of marine resources??'

After reading the latest update to the strategic plan, I found the answer to be that the term socioeconomic conditions is used as a euphemism to describe the level of objection to the MLPA process by fisherman.... :| Talk about a smokescreen.... :rolleyes:

OK, now the finale'.... In reading some of the reports that describe negative impacts on salt water fisheries involved under MLPA, I found one that measured the impacts of commercial and recreational fishing on identified fish populations. Surprisingly, the group that had the most negative impact was recreational and that catch & release practices did not improve mortality rates. While I've accepted the fact some fish do die after release, I had no idea there was that much impact. Guess some re-think is necessary on my part. :confused:

This information was excerpted from reports found at (almost too much to absorb in a short timeframe):

http://www.calcofi.org

California Cooperative Ocean Fisheries Investigations (CalCOFI) is a public-private/partnership consisting of DFG, F&G Commission, Scripps Oceanographic Institute, NOAA, etc. :cool: