PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on the Upper Sac

frequent_flyer
12-14-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm heading up to the upper sac tommorro-Dec 15, and wanted to know if anyone had any tips or spots for fishing up there

chixnribs
12-14-2010, 09:10 PM
I was up last month and fished the Scarlett Way Access point up to (and past) Mossbrea Falls. Although known as more of a planter stretch, we got into some absolutely beautiful, big, wide bows.

You should be able to find this access on the Web. After parking, cross the river and hike the railroad tracks upstream. Even if the fishing doesn't turn out, the view of the waterfall is incredible.

huntindog
12-14-2010, 10:25 PM
bring very good rain gear...the storm that is coming is supposed to be a doooozy...they just doubled the outflow from shasta to help prep for a massive wet storm

Jimmie
12-17-2010, 05:09 PM
I was up there in October, and UP had blocked off all the parking at Scarlett. Anybody know if that has changed.

I'm sure he is already up there if he still went, but Prospect Street/Road and the Old City Park (with the locomotive) are good accesses. As well as the State Park (Castle Crags) and the othe City park under the I-5 bridges. Overall lots of accesses, but I question the fishablity of the River with all the rain... Good Luck!!

Frank Alessio
12-17-2010, 05:49 PM
It is Prospect Ave...Has been always will be... Someone Goofed on the new street sign.. I lived on Prospect ave in the late 40's and the early 50's.... It used to be a thru street to East of what is I 80 now... Dunsmuir ave was the Highway.... Frank

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Call Bob Grace at the Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir, CA to get some good info.

Just Google "Ted Fay Fly Shop"............

**I like to fish there 'around June' depending on the runoff and then Oct/Nov.

Mik
12-20-2010, 02:06 PM
I might be a little late with this one. I was up there in October and there are 2-3 spots for parking at Scarlett. Fishing was decent upstream with prince nymphs. There are many dirt roads off I-5 you can take down to the river. Go exploring!

Craig Nielsen
12-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Frequent Flyer:
Sorry I missed responding prior to your recent visit. The Upper Sac is an interesting fishery in the winter with the opportunity to catch some of the biggest fish of the season. It only fishes well during midday however, great for locals but difficult to target as a destination.
Here are links to a couple articles (http://www.shastatrout.com/winter-on-the-uppersac) on fishing the Upper Sac in winter (http://www.shastatrout.com/year-round-on-uppersac), written a few years ago for California Fly Fisher Magazine that may be of interest.
Feel free to drop a line if you are again headed this way, happy to share all I can about current conditions whether you are seeking guide service or not.