PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Elk Grove (Laguna West/Lakeside)

Jed Peters
12-14-2010, 12:00 AM
I live in lakeside/laguna west and have for the last 8 years.

I've never fly-fished for bass, to be honest, only trout and steelies.

I see TONS of people fishing these lakes for bass, all the time. apparently there are some really big fish in these lakes.

Anyone have any beta on this area?

Want to show a newbie the ropes?

Jay
12-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Those ponds have giants in them. I know of multiple fish over 10lbs out of there. They eat golden shiners ;)

David Lee
12-14-2010, 07:22 AM
I'll be happy to give you a hand come Springtime -

D.~

Darian
12-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Jed,.... My ex lives in the Laguna area. Fishing doesn't appear to be allowed in the ponds that are around her place. Maybe these fisherman are residents or have permission to fish from a resident. :confused: That being said, I've seen some very large Bass and sunnies in them. They are treated like pets. People feed them. :lol:

There're some ponds in the area that are open to fishing and are populated with large Black Bass, Catfish and sunnies. DFG ran a warm water fish hatchery at the corner of Bond and Elk Grove-Florin(?) roads. I started my son fishing in the pond that butted up against the DFG facility. Many of those fish were stocked in local ponds for mosquito control, etc. The facility has been closed for some time now. There're some ponds that were constructed in parkways, too. Those are more likely to allow fishing. Try following Laguna Creek through the area and you'll find some deep/wide sections that have fish in them, too. Just about every little puddle down there will have some type of fish in them. :smirk:

Jed Peters
12-14-2010, 10:54 AM
I am a resident, with access to the lakes (and a boat to fish from).

I'm open to taking someone out there if they want to show me the "goods" and how to fish for these bass....

The "monsters" thing I heard too from a couple of people.

ted1
12-14-2010, 11:53 AM
If i'm thinking of the same ponds, there should be Koi in them also. Let me know how they fight :D

Hairstacker
12-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Jed, I highly recommend you take David Lee up on his offer. If there's warmwater fish in there, David will know what to do and will happily set you on the right path.

fishngy
12-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Willing to trade some flies for time on the pond. Just let me know with a PM this spring. Thanks, Bill

ted1
12-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Jed, I highly recommend you take David Lee up on his offer. If there's warmwater fish in there, David will know what to do and will happily set you on the right path.

Or catch all the fish while you cast.....

David Lee
12-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Looks like Hairstacker and Ted get $$ in their Christmas cards this year ..... hehehehehe

Jed -

Bass are pretty much the same as Trout , or any other fish - they eat things smaller (usually) than themselves . Buggers , Dragonfly nymphs , small Poppers , Clousers , Leeches , whatever . Use a floater , 8-10 foot leader , dump a fly out , let it sink or float , retrieve fast/slow/steady/erratic ...... they will let you know what they want .

Use whatever rod is handy , I much prefer sticks between 4-10 wt. . Reels keep your line out of the mud , so please consider using one . Tippets should fall somewhere between 4X- and twenty pound . Starting right before March (if it isn't too cold ....) , get out and try . If you don't get bit fishing surface , try mid-depth/bottom . Fish depths from the water next to the bank to as far as you can wing a cast out to . Fly colors ?? Whatever you happen to have , try it . I'm not trying to be flip , I just want you to understand that if you've fished for anything before , you will likely do fine on Bass !

For my money , I'd start the first week of March , using a 6 wt. , a long 6-8 Lb. leader , floating line , and Dragon/Damsel nymphs or buggers in Black , Chartruse (no , not kidding), Olive , or White . Let your fly sink and strip back slowly using lots of pauses and twitches - I'll be shocked if you don't catch Bass on your first trip out .

Good hunting !!

D.~

Hairstacker
12-14-2010, 04:53 PM
David, David, David,

What's with all this great advice? I was trying to get you on that water. :lol:

David Lee
12-14-2010, 05:27 PM
David, David, David,

What's with all this great advice? I was trying to get you on that water. :lol:

It's cool , Mike .... he doesn't have the RIGHT Dragonfly nymph yet -

D.~

caniretireyet?
12-16-2010, 10:40 PM
If i'm thinking of the same ponds, there should be Koi in them also. Let me know how they fight :D

Hey, call me a cretin, but a koi is a carp in a prettier dress. Don't knock it till you try it;)

Steve

Cal
12-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Jed, Please, check the email account you have linked to Kienes message board.

Cal
12-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Koi and goldfish can be a kick to catch on a fly rod because they will hit dry flies (especially if you twitch them) and take off on long runs like carp.

Jed Peters
12-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Got the email Brian....I'll give you a shout later in the spring...

Scott V
12-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Jed, you do know that you can be catching those bass right now. I just caught one in a little pond by my house about an hour ago.

flyguy1
01-24-2011, 02:56 PM
I live near the upper reaches of laguna creek near excelisor road. My boys go fishing in the creek near that area. They have caught a lot of little bass and a couple of big ones (4 to 5 pound). I was shocked to see 4 to 5 pound bass in some of the pools that they fish. I took my buddy out one day to show him and fish some of the holes my boys found, and my buddy hooked into a 8 to 9 pound carp. Needless to say we were blow away by that considering the size of water. The area is not conducive to fly fishing as there is alot of vegetation around the area and the pools are not that large. My boys got the fish on sinco worms.