PDA

View Full Version : "I Told You that They're Stupid".....

OceanSunfish
12-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Refering to Northern Californains and Probably what Westlands, Guvinator, Families Protecting the Valley" and "Coalition for a Sustainable Delta are saying to themselves after the vote......

Really, just how stupid do they think 'we' are?!

It's incredible how things are so obviously rigged and how arrogant the water exporters are about going about their greedy business.

I would've written my own take, but I'm a bit tired.... so I reference the editorial from the Bee which pretty much is my take....

BTW, I do feel that the Wastewater Plant is sorely out of date and needs to be revamped.... but this is not THE solution and yet Westlands will see to it that they get an increase in water delivery..... it's sickening. Oh, and they will see to it that there is political accoutability........ Yet, there is none when it comes to their own 35+ year old wastewater mess....

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/11/3249702/shared-sacrifice-in-the-delta.html#disqus_thread

Darian
12-12-2010, 10:37 AM
OS,.... From your post, I'm not sure what part of this makes you upset.... :confused: Is it the potential for increased rates :?: You say, "....this is not the solution...." but if this isn't, what is :?: Not sure what Westlands role in this is. Lots of emotion, tho. :|

Personally, I have mixed emotions about the required upgrade but to be fair to the State Water Board, their job is to propose the requirements for issuance of a permit (....we voted boards of this nature into existence didn't we :?: ). Negotiations on this permit have been ongoing for 5 years, already, and there're reportedly 8 years left to comply with the new requirements. Further, The Sacramento District has operated under it's current permit for a lengthy period prior to negotiations on this one began. So they can't claim they didn't know that there was a potential for this to happen.... :|

The required upgrade will not only address elimination of ammonia but some treated solids that are discharged as well. That will result in cleaner water which should make a lot of downstream users (cities/growers/fish/wildlife, etc.) happy. Enough of the obvious.... 8-)

Now, financing this project doesn't have to be exclusively thru rate increases even tho the district has emotionalized the issue by saying that's the only method. I'm wondering if the district has asked for stimulus money or any number of low interest, long term grants/loans. How about a bond issuance :?: The district certainly has had enough time explore them. From their own pronouncements, they apparently only considered rate increases. At any rate, the district will undoubtedly appeal the boards decision. So, any increase in cost is not imminent. I don't particularly like the prospect of increased rates but if that's the outcome, I guess we're gonna be stuck with it (the cost of clean water). 8-)

The SacBee is guilty of playing both sides of this issue for it's own benefit. There have been numerous articles in the Bee over the last few weeks both pro and con. So, in this instance, its editorial doesn't carry much weight with me. :|

Bob Laskodi
12-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Normally I try and stay out of flaming rants since they accomplish nothing, but I will add the following interesting factoid. In a pioneering study funded and led by NMFS/USFWS, with support from DFG and scientific contractors, that was the very first instance in which steelhead smolts were going to be implanted with tracking devices and tracked from release at Coleman all the way to the ocean, in order to determine migratory routes and survival percentages, ALL of the steelhead smolts were killed when they encountered a sewage outfall that exceeded the limit for ammonia. So the first scientific attempt at tracking steelhead migration routes in CA ended in failure at a sewage plant outfall due to ammonia (and other toxic compounds). Fortunately, the study was not a bitter failure because the sewage plant was fined heavily and the problem eventually corrected. There's often another side to every story!

OceanSunfish
12-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Yes, both tired and emotional, etc.... And, I know... 'talk is cheap'.

As I stated, I refered to the Bee editorial due to my being too tired to write my own take...... I should have added the obligatory caveat.

I'm going to step back and take a break from all this stuff.....It's making me grumpy. I don't like it.

Darian
12-17-2010, 07:02 PM
OS,.... This should make you feel a bit better. The SacBee recently reported that Assemblyman Dickenson (former Sac County Council member) and Senator Steinberg got together and worked out a method to use some state water bond money to pay for the upgrade. Apparently, Dickenson will introduce/carry a bill to enable that outcome. You should be happy about this as it transfers the burden of debt to all taxpayers (statewide) instead of the rate payers in this water district.... :p

OceanSunfish
12-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks Darian.

It helps.