PDA

View Full Version : Desalinization....

Darian
12-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Interesting article in from Aquafornia on approval of a desal project in Carlsbad. Check it out:

http://aquafornia.com/archives/36853

Barring any major negative impacts, implementing this and another project by Poseidon should provide some relief on demands for water by SoCal urban water districts. :-|

Looks like the logjam has been removed.... Wonder how many more porjects will result from this ruling :?: :?:

Tracy Chimenti
12-11-2010, 09:49 PM
I just think they are leaving out one thing! Where are we going to get all of the power to run many more of them, without driving the cost of electricity through the roof?

NUCLEAR POWER!

Darian
12-11-2010, 10:16 PM
I seem to recall from reading about the Carlsbad Project that it is co-located with a pre-existing power generation station and would, somehow, contribute to generating some of the power required (....but don't quote me on that). :-|

Blueracer
12-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Check this out............ http://www.saltworkstech.com/technology.php

http://www.saltworkstech.com/media.php

From what I understand....it's pretty low on the side of energy used.

Larry S
12-17-2010, 05:53 AM
The de-sal people have jumped thru all of the hoops - even the Coastal Commission has
OK-d it; yet a small number of extremists still put up road blocks. As a result, progress is
quite slow. Located next to the Encino power plant; the big smoke stack to the west of
I-5 near the Carlsbad-Oceaside border.
The state should be building a dozen or so of these now. Power is expensive, yes.
Fresh water is scarce.
Larry S
San Diegp

BillB
12-17-2010, 09:07 AM
I find it ironic that extremest who would deny desal plants often may find themselves on the same side of conservation issues many fly fisherman. Maybe that's just my perception. Wonder if there is some not-in-my-backyard to that. I think is was John Muir that said everything is connected.

Darian
12-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Billb,.... I agree there's a lot of self interest (NIMBY) involved and I believe that we (fly fishers) will be similarly involved when DeSal happens up here. 8)

One of the groups that opposed this project was the SoCal Surf Riders (hope that name is correct). So, I'm sure there were a bunch of protectionist motives involved. Now, I was raised in SoCal and, also, surfed and fished a bunch. That was 40 years ago. (:shock:) So, I feel some empathy for locals when someone or something happens to restrict access to great beaches.... :\\ Between development and MLPA's, access is being reduced or in some cases eliminated. :mad:

In any case, DeSal is a necessary development. According to their websites, water districts in the Bay Area already have at least 3 DeSal plants on the drawing board. 8) Sometimes it seems we (humans) work at cross purposes in these activities. We'll work like crazy to protect/restore the Delta while opposing projects that would reduce pressure on demands for water. :confused: Oh well, with all of the attention being paid to the Bay/Delta environment, it'll take a life time to get them approved.... ](*,)

Larry S
12-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Darian:
Yes, the name of the group is "Surfrider." The San Diego chapter has come out
strongly in favor of the MLPA's. I could support a lot of the MLPA concepts if
the whole process hadn't been hi-jacked. The closures now voted in reek of
conflict-of-interest issues. Google Commissioner Michael Sutton and the Packard
Foundation. Pathetic! The Packard Foundation and other deep pocket groups
"jump started" the MLPA process when it needed funds to keep alive.

One of the chief opponents of the de-sal plant is a north county attorney named
Marco Gonzalez. A surfin' dude as well. Giving those surfers a bad rep!
Larry S
San Diego

Darian
12-17-2010, 06:35 PM
The surfer involvement in supporting MLPA's mystified me. I kinda thought they'd object to the exclusionary ideas involved in establishing the areas.... But, what do I know :confused: I wonder how those surfers feel with the new MLPA/Regs that ban any human contact (except those specifically exempted) with the beach/water in many MLPA's.... :?: :confused: