PDA

View Full Version : fishing soft hackle flies for trout and steelhead in Nor Cal.

mones
12-08-2010, 07:24 PM
I've been wanting to tell this ongoing tale for a while. This seems to be a good forum.I fish softies period...I got rid of everything else January 1995. Oh by the way the kid took me to the Y above the bridge last week. Hooked 6 landed 3 largest about 19 what fun....thanks kid. Anyways it was late sept 1994 went with a couple of friends to montana, my first trip back there,we fished the lower madison.nymphing,splitshot, indicators and some dries ...I can honestly say i sucked and struggled on this fine stretch of water. One day we decided to go into Yellowstone National Park.Wow what a park....the guys hooked some really large trout that evening and we decided to move camp and enjoy the park.This is what i like to refer to as the begining....
More later...

cyama
12-08-2010, 08:25 PM
If you are catching fish now with the BWO hatch and the small 18-20 soft hackles you will have fun in February. The Yuba fish will crush a size 14 hares ear soft hackle when the march browns show up. My favorite BWO soft hackle is tied on a size 18 to 20 Tiemco 200. Green dubbing and light dun hen hackle. You should visit the flymonkey blog he has some very sound advice:D