PDA

View Full Version : Lake McSwain question

betty
12-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Anyone ever fished this lake? Any suggestions on when, where on the lake, and techniques/flies used would be appreciated. thanks
Betty

RAS
12-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Hi Betty,
McSwain is in my backyard so to speak.It's pretty much a "put and take" kind of lake. A lot of lawn chairs and Power Bait. That said you can still get fish on flies/buggers.I've done best at the North end of the dam just off the shore to the east of the dam that forms a cove at that North end.
The pond below the dam can fish good at times and can be a challenge.
Good Fishing, RAS

aldelco
12-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Betty,
I live in Merced and fish McSwain occasionally.I fished it Wednesday with some success. Lots of fish sipping small midges, but I caught them using brown wooly buggers. You might try midging with indicators if you find fish i six to ten feet deep.

Tracy Chimenti
12-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Lake McSwain is a real sleeper for big wild trout from the tail waters above. You won't hear about it much, but there are locals in the area that catch these big, wild trout often near the river inlet. Mostly 2- to 4-pounds the one's i've heard of.

Tracy

betty
12-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all the good info. One of these days, when the valley fogs don't make driving too dangerous, I'd like to get over there. Got a new water ride that I'm anxious to try out--- a NFO Outlaw Escape. Terrible to get such a new toy in the middle of the rainy/snow season, and so far away from any of my favorite lakes. Thanks again
Betty