PDA

View Full Version : American River clean up....by CFFU

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi Club Members,
On Sunday, January 9th, CFFU volunteers will perform our next clean-up event along mile 16 (south side) of the American River bikeway. Our club has signed onto the American River Parkway Foundation’s “Adopt the Parkway” program. Under our agreement with the Foundation, CFFU will walk along the bikeway on this stretch of the River four times a year and pick up trash. In return, the Foundation has placed our Club’s name on a sign on the River’s bikeway.

On January 9th, we will meet at the parking lot adjacent to the River and at the end of Rossmoor Drive, which runs north from Coloma Road in Rancho Cordova and just up river from Hagen Community Park. I will have free parking permits for all volunteers. There is no ticket taker or entrance gate. We will gather at 9:30 a.m. at the parking lot for a short orientation and then walk mile 16 on the south side only of the River (downriver and towards Sacramento). I will provide doughnuts and coffee. I will have trash bags and other items necessary for the litter patrol. However, you may want to bring a pick-up gadget. The trek should take about 90 minutes, and then we will return to our cars.

Like last time, I am hoping for a good turn-out so that we can say we are earning the name recognition our Club is getting from the sign that all bikeway travelers will see. I will have a sign-up sheet at the December 7th and January 4th general meetings or you can sign-up at the parking lot on Sunday. If you cannot spend the time or cannot walk the entire mile, please feel free to walk whatever distance is convenient. Be sure to wear clothing appropriate for the weather and bring water. In case of bad weather, this will be held the following Sunday, January 16th.

Finally, Carl Lang has volunteered to watch the cars at the parking lot while we do our clean-up.

Thanks, and see you on January 9th.

Bill Felts
CFFU American River Clean-up Coordinator.