PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Float Trip

seth
11-30-2010, 11:43 PM
We are organizing a float trip in Alaska for my buddies bachelor party next summer and I was looking for any suggestions on rivers/outfitters. I have contacted a few different people, however I was hoping to get some firsthand experiences. Let me know if you have the chance.

Thanks,

hodge
12-01-2010, 08:21 PM
I am by no means an expert but I have organized three self guided float trips on two different rivers. Nothing like it, definitely an experience even without the great fishing.

pm me for more info if you like

Hodge

FLGator
12-02-2010, 08:33 AM
I recommend getting in touch with Mark Rutherford of Wild River Guide Company. He has a great reputation and offers stunning wilderness angling adventures.

amoeba
12-02-2010, 07:26 PM
I've done this a couple times, most recently the Kanektok, which everybody wants to do and is nice, but a bit too many guides and jets on the lower end for my liking; not that busy - but I'd want less - I think if I go back that way (western AK), I'm gonna try something a bit less famous.

There are lots of other fishable/floatable rivers out that way (~1 hour bushflight from Bethel, AK). You can do many of them unguided without much skill. Here are a few of the bushpilots that have been around there awhile and have rafts/other rental eqpmt:

wade: http://www.tikchikadventures.com/

steve: http://www.pbadventures.com/

It can be very buggy until at least mid-august, and insect repellent isn't that effective - doesn't bother me, but if any of your group is a girly-man, either leave them at home or go later - probably early september, and take your chances at getting more silvers but with more rain.

ErikB
12-02-2010, 08:31 PM
I have done trips with Ouzel Expeditions and would definetly recommend them. Everything was right on cue and they did a very good job for us. I also fished with Alaska Rainbow Adventures and thourghly enjoyed those trips.
We fished the Alagnak both times once in June for Rainbows and later in July when the salmon are in and the fishing was incredible.Enjoy your trip!

Dan Harrison
12-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Seth you really might want to consider the Goodnews River. One of the greatest rivers i have ever been on. Would work really well with a bachlors trip, good length, absolute great fishing for novice or expert. We caught Kings, huge Rainbows, (Top Water Mouse) Dolly Varden (skating muddler) Grayling, Chum Salmon, Pink Salmon, Sockeye Salmon. Have some pics in my profile if you want to take a look. Also you might want to consider a unguided float depending on experience, if you need any help planning PM me there is alot to consider.

nor cal steelie
12-05-2010, 02:30 PM
In south east , the bugs can be brutal at times (june-aug) make sure you bring some head nets and gloves , that are no see um bug prof , they will go right though the mosqieto ones (as I found out ) and deet has little or no affect , Im sure your outfitter will fill you in !! , It is an awsome place , you guys will have a blast Mark

amoeba
12-07-2010, 04:00 PM
well:

I almost never use headnets or other netting while fishing. You will survive without them for gods sake.

As far as the Goodnews; I did that quite awhile ago also and it can be good fishing there; it is the second most popular river, perhaps, but has only one on-river lodge and that is a ways down, so less jet-boat wakeup calls in the morning as I remember it. But it is also a very popular float.

There has been a permit system recently proposed in some new management program, and I believe it may now be in place, which limits unguided rafting on both the Goodnews and Kanektok to a certain number of rafts or people, and will require you to pack out all solid human waste and have the equipment to do so. The bushpilots, guides, and Fed refuge (Togiak) that these rivers are mostly on will know the situation and how to get a permit, if one is now needed.

nor cal steelie
12-08-2010, 05:48 PM
If you guys end up in south east , bring some head nets ,

seth
12-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Well I think we've locked down a trip.

Heading to Dillingham for a trip on July 19-27. After a ton of research we have chosen what looks to be an incredible outfitter. Check his website out and I would seriously consider working with him as we have already been impressed with his professionalism and knowledge.

http://wildriverfish.com/

Thank you all for all of the information. I will be sure to take a lot of pics and post after the trip.

Seth

Jet
12-27-2010, 11:16 PM
http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17413