PDA

View Full Version : Prank on me about fly tying materials years ago

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Back in the 1970s when my fly shop was new and pretty small by todays standards I got a phone call about some fly tying materials a guy was looking for.

He ask if I had about a dozen different materials that were either endangered, discontined for years or very exotic.

He asked if we had any Polar Bear hair? I told him it was illegal.

He said What about some Seal fur? I told him that was illegal.

What about some Great Blue Heron? I said that was illegal too.

Do you have any Allcock 208 hooks size 2? I said they were discontinued years ago.

What about some Condor tail feathers? I said "Are you kidding?"

He said " Well what do you carry down there? Is this a fly shop?

With that I heard a person laughing loudly in the back ground.

It was a friend who had made up this list and had a friend call me and ask for it all.

Pretty funny......

Ed Wahl
11-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Ha, I love those kind of pranks.

Did you ever figure out who salted your shelves with power bait for your expo a few years ago?

Or the giant red and white bobbers marked 'Putah Creek Strike Indicators'?

You don't know how lucky you were to discontinue putting out the paper photo album for the folks to look thru. :-\"

I'm just sayin.

Ed

catch&release
11-27-2010, 11:42 PM
I put a can of power bait in my buddies pocket in his fly vest that he keeped his license in. A few weeks later he was stoped by a warden and asked for his license and he found the power bait in his vest. The kicker is that he was fishing an AFL lake, no bait allowed and he swore it wasnt his that his buddy from California must of put it in his vest for a prank. He lives in Utah and knows almost every warden in the state. The warden made a call to another warden that vouched for him and then I received a nice call from my buddy in Utah. Not a great call in the beginning but we laughed by the end of the phone call.

Mike O
11-28-2010, 12:03 AM
2 questions, one for Bill, and one for C&R

Bill - What did people use Great Blue Heron for?

C&R - How could your buddy get in trouble anyway? Wouldn't the Warden have to see him fishing with the PB?

Dan LeCount
11-30-2010, 01:11 AM
2 questions, one for Bill, and one for C&R

Bill - What did people use Great Blue Heron for?

Heron feathers are very popular hackles for spey style patterns. Theyre very fine and long, yet they are very soft and supple, so they move a lot in the water. Since they're fine they don't absorb a lot of water and still project a larger profile with their long length.

H Dot Verseman
06-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Polar Bear fur is not illegal though. Well, okay, it IS, in a sense that if you go kill one, you cannot bring it within the us. HOWEVER, there are many legal sources including many native american's supplying it for online fly shops.

I have used polar bear in my flies, and absolutely love it. I will continue to, as long as stricter regulations stay attached, and they aren't decimated any further. There is quite a bit of pre 1976ish, I could be wrong about the date, floating about in the online realm.

I know a shop that still has matched Dodo bird feathers. But shhhhh, its a secret. It is REALLY old.

caniretireyet?
06-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Polar Bear fur is not illegal though. Well, okay, it IS, in a sense that if you go kill one, you cannot bring it within the us. HOWEVER, there are many legal sources including many native american's supplying it for online fly shops.

I have used polar bear in my flies, and absolutely love it. I will continue to, as long as stricter regulations stay attached, and they aren't decimated any further. There is quite a bit of pre 1976ish, I could be wrong about the date, floating about in the online realm.

I know a shop that still has matched Dodo bird feathers. But shhhhh, its a secret. It is REALLY old.

I'll trade you a bag of fresh dubbing from a hyperactive Mini Schnauzer for the do do. What do you think?
Steve

H Dot Verseman
06-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Haha. It's too pricey for me, I definitely don't have the dodo bird feathers or wings. Plus I'm not sure, except for maybe framing above a tying desk, what I would do with them.

Scott V
06-16-2011, 01:06 PM

If you could point me to where I could get some polar bear fur I would be very greatful. PM me if you would.

Darian
06-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Scott,.... Google, "suppliers, Polar Bear Fur". You'll get a few vendor lists that way. Lots of low or mixed quality involved. High quality is very expensive.... Good luck. :D :D

BobVP
06-17-2011, 08:46 AM
I received a lot of unusual fur and feathers a few months back, including a small piece of Polar Bear fur. It was the first time I had a close look at that stuff...not counting the car dealer's showroom in San Rafael when I was a kid... That stuff shines in the light! Truly an amazing part of how things work in the world...hollow hair. I gave a small piece to my daughter for her to keep and the other piece (maybe 3 square inches) I think I'll just keep above my tying desk until inspiration hits.

H Dot Verseman
06-17-2011, 11:28 AM
I sent the pm.

Tracy Chimenti
06-25-2011, 10:00 PM
...worth about $30, I think!