PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish?

Bruce Berman
11-27-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't like to post this question (it feels like begging), and I usually have enough buddies with info to get a handle on the runs, but I'm stumped. I've got from Sunday - Wednesday to fish for steel before I have to return to Arizona for a little while. So far, I've hit the Trinity and Klamath with only a little success. There's always the Feather, but reports are mixed. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post details. Not asking for secret spots; just suggestions as to which body of water. (I'm still willing to return to where I've fished, but I'm looking to "catch". I already had the Zen experience of being one with the river and nature. Time to stick some fish.)

norcal tom
11-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Try the rougue river up by grants pass always fish

Bruce Berman
11-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks, Tom. That's a bit further than I'd planned, but it's got me thinking outside of the box.

Tim P
11-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Try the rougue river up by grants pass always fish

This time of year the fish near GP are from the "Summer" run. If you look at the historical results from the seining performed at Huntley Park, you will notice two things: (a) this year's raw counts look to be only 35% of the ten-year average, and (b) those counts typically peak in mid-August (@ river mile 6, iirc). If you presume that the average adult will travel about 1 mi/day, a good time to fish the lower middle is the beginning of Oct, and the GP area around the beginning of Nov.

That's for "fresh" summer fish anyway; the existence of the ODFW's retread program I suppose changes the distribution of fish in the late part of the summer run season from the GP area and above, but if it were me I would be inclined to fish above GP at this time of the year.

That notwithstanding, it is probably not reasonable to have an expectation of more that one fish/day, especially if it's bank angling, and he is green to the drainage. Bruce left the T because his result was 2/3rds fish per angler-day of bank angling; but that result was actually a bit better than most bank anglers were doing on the T just prior to his arrival there.

I have a friend who spent the entire month of Oct fishing the lower middle Rouge (on the swing, with H20 temps in the low 50s) for 10 stuck fish. He only fishes mornings, so his CPUE was about 1/day (when normalized to the effort of full-day angling). Also, the bulk of his fish were stuck in the early weeks of Oct.

Enjoy those moments of Zen wherever you find yourself, Bruce.

tim

Bruce Berman
11-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Who says you have to be a rabid baseball fan to be into the statistics thing? I also keep copious notes on my fish, which have taught me a thing or two. Thanks for the info, Tim.

huntindog
11-28-2010, 09:29 AM
GEES, i guess i need to take my calculator fishing now in order to compute the statistics in order to know if I am enjoying my trip...

Bruce Berman
11-28-2010, 11:04 AM
If I caught as many fish as you do, I'd need a calculator too, to keep track. Of course, since you're often in that situation, take it from me, you're having a good time!

norcal tom
11-28-2010, 01:01 PM
I thought steelhead where a fish of a 1000 cast Whats the matter with one fish day ?

Tim P
11-28-2010, 02:26 PM
I thought steelhead where a fish of a 1000 cast Whats the matter with one fish day ?

From the bank, there's nothing at all wrong with 1 SH/day - to me that's good fishing. Anything better than that is exceptional fishing, imo. ( As long as we're not talking half-pounders :D )

I recently spent seven (11-hr) days on the T for 3 adults - and left tired, but wishing that I could have spent more time at it.

In any event, it's not something that we need to all agree on - I know anglers who won't fish for steelhead at all - they would rather spend what little free time they have available in the year on an Alaska trip for non-stop action. And I suppose it's a completely different reasoning if you are lucky enough to have a SH river right in your back yard.

tim

jayclarkflyfishing
11-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Tom-
Bruce is a "numbers" guy so one fish a day is never enough.I'm happy to get a tug!That is why I like the type of rivers that we met on last year!

Bruce-If you head to the Rogue fish above Medford.Expect spent fish and downrunners.Stay off the redds!!

Jay

Bruce Berman
11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
If I were a true numbers guy, I wouldn't fish for steelies, BUT, some of us do fish to catch SOMETHING. This trip I've caught fish using jigs with my fly rod, swinging and nymphing. Had I only used one method, I'd have caught fewer fish...and I've only hooked 4 so we're not talking big numbers.

Turns out the Rogue was just too far so I'm fishing elsewhere. Also, heard it was blown out from Gordon.