PDA

View Full Version : The Y below the Bridge--Report November 24

Jed Peters
11-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Yesterday was clear and cold. Got on the water at around 11, had 4-5 grabs within the first couple of runs below the bridge.

Fishing then got not so hot with the light on the water straight away--the fishing went cold for a while.

Fished the shadows in a couple of places and landed and hooked some nice trout.

Lower down the float hooked a nice adult steelhead, my biggest ever on the end of a rod. One run upstream, a big jump, and the "one that got away" was just that. Oh well.

Couple nice little 18-20" HPs and 'bows made up the rest of the day. I think we had about 25 fish hooked and 11 or so to hand?

Fishing was slow overall--I think because of the sun being out of the water. Thinking all the fish caught were pretty much in shaded areas from the direct sun--even though water was murky.

Oh yeah, everything landed was on eggs. Still!

Hopefully I can get an adult steelie to come and see me on saturday when I'm there!

SHigSpeed
11-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Slow overall!? Wow, I guess we don't share the same yardstick... ;)

Thanks for the report!

_SHig

Jed Peters
11-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Slow overall!? Wow, I guess we don't share the same yardstick... ;)

Thanks for the report!

_SHig

Yeah, I consider 10 per person to hand a good average yuba number?

But I would have taken just that "one" that got away....over all the others!

Funny story, we were in one of the last runs, I hooked and was bringing in about a 19" 'bow and the other guys in the boat were saying "get that thing off the line" and "if it's any consolation, it's much smaller than the one you lost before"....so we were definitely going for that last big dog!

Tiger
11-25-2010, 09:37 PM
How do you know if they are steelhead???

Jed Peters
11-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Sea lice and super clear fins.

They also fight way different. About 2x as hard as equivalent sized trout.

bclem81
12-03-2010, 01:30 PM
was the lice that you saw brownish or whiteish in color. if it was whiteish in color it wasnt sea lice.

Bob Laskodi
12-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Not likely to be sea lice over 50 miles from the ocean. Sea lice can not live in fresh water and die within 24 hours after exposure to fresh water. More likely one of the many related freshwater copepods that are commonly found.

Willisbrow
12-03-2010, 10:30 PM
They also fight way different. About 2x as hard as equivalent sized trout.[/QUOTE]

Yuba river rainbows fight 2x harder than most trout caught in California.

Willisbrow
12-03-2010, 10:31 PM
They also fight way different. About 2x as hard as equivalent sized trout.

Yuba river rainbows fight 2x harder than most rainbows caught in California

Eric M
12-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Fished below the bridge yesterday with a half dozen or so to hand. Nothing huge but two did have the same " growth" near and on the tail. They did look like sea lice, but agree sea lice die soon after entering fresh water. Best fishing was between 11am and 2 pm.

Jed Peters
12-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Brian:

Dark remnants.

Bob:

Well aware sea lice die. There are remnants still on the fins, fresher fish have a more "chrome" look (little in the way of reddish tint).

Willisbow

And further aware of how hard yuba bows fight.

Last weekend was decent enough, still slow as I put things....I hear reports from this weeks rains making the fishing off the hook (not literally) though.