PDA

View Full Version : Plowing Trout Water

Troutstalker55B
11-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Well, the Fish Gods have spoken early and it has been a mega dump here at Fort Baiocchi. I live between Graeagle and Portola at the base of Pennman Peak on the leeward side, and we tend to get more snowfall than other local areas. Since 11/20 we have received 44 inches of snow, 4" new this morning, and 4" more forecasted today.

How much snow or rain have YOU received??? Our normal precip here is about 20", since Oct. we already have 6.5 inches on the gauge. Another long day of snow removal and I'm running out of hooks!

Jon.

catch&release
11-23-2010, 08:58 AM
I know it sucks but hopefully Frenhcmans and Davis will receive alot of that run off! By the look of your Frenchmans report you guys could realy use it.

caniretireyet?
11-23-2010, 09:52 AM
In Mountain Ranch we were forecast for snow and more snow, but so far, other than a few inches, its all been rain. I hear that up the hill, in Arnold, Dorrington , Camp Connell, etc, they've had several feet. Dan L., if your out there, chime in.

Steve

Frank R. Pisciotta
11-23-2010, 12:45 PM
and my snow-blower is inoperable right now!! It needs a tune-up. I've been doing lots of snow shoveling/pushing the last few days.

Jon---I'm guessing...conservatively...that we've received 4' of snow at my 6500' home in Truckee. It bodes well for the fisheries. Pray [-o<for more.

Frank R. Pisciotta

www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com

Troutstalker55B
11-23-2010, 07:18 PM
catch&release,

I'm all for it, more water in those lakes means more and bigger fish!

caniretireyet?, Thanks for the report!

Frank, I know you have been around the Tahoe region for a while as I...... This is one the best early storms I can remember! I can only hope for a long productive winter and a NORMAL spring. Stay warm, and take care - Jon.

Frank R. Pisciotta
11-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Jon---If this is the start of a really wet winter and it continues at the same tempo; it could be a NORMAL spring with lots of water. I'm taking your advice; staying warm enjoying the mountains at the start of winter:nod:.

Frank

JohnS
11-24-2010, 12:26 AM
In Mountain Ranch we were forecast for snow and more snow, but so far, other than a few inches, its all been rain. I hear that up the hill, in Arnold, Dorrington , Camp Connell, etc, they've had several feet. Dan L., if your out there, chime in.

Steve

Steve

My wife and I were in Arnold these last 4 days. It got clobbered by the storm. We got about 30 inches from Sat morning up to this afternoon. There was a lot of storm damage with power out to many sections since Sun at 9:12 PM. The power was still out when we left. On the other hand, the scenery was beautiful.

It is amazing that 15 miles down the road and there is no snow what so ever.

If this is the start of the snow season, the Stan will be in great shape.

flyguy1
11-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Jon-

My family has a second home in Cromberg. Any idea how much snow that they got near Cromberg, Sloat, and the Camp Laymen areas.

Thanks

Scott

jayclarkflyfishing
11-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Flyguy-
I drive through Cromberg 4 days a week and it looked like they had about 1-2' of snow.I live in Loyalton and we only got about 4-6" but the cold is what has impressed me.I can't remember ever getting to minus 10 degrees in November, but we have been that cold for the past three days.Brrrrrrrrr!

Jonny-Time to start enjoying the pow pow!

Jay

Troutstalker55B
11-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Jay,

Surfs up!!! Another 4" today and still snowing...Gotta love it!

Jon.