PDA

View Full Version : What light and magnifier for fly tying?

jnesheim
11-21-2010, 08:34 PM
I'd appreciate recommendations for a light and magnifier for fly tying. My old eyes need that help. I'm a beginner. Thank you.

Darian
11-21-2010, 11:11 PM
I've had the same problem for about the last 15 years. I found some choices at University Art Stores or Aaron Brothers Art stores. There're plenty of choices. I tried a small model that had an extendable arm and a cover that slid over the lens and light if needed. It wasn't ever needed and I went thru several of them before I realized that I needed a heavier duty lamp/lens combo. I don't recall the name of the model but the current one clamps to the table, has an adjustable arm, a centered magnifying lens with a neon( :question: ), true color, wraparound light. Very powerful and easy to use. Costs around $50.00 but worth every penny, IMHO. :smirk:

Before I found this one, I looked in all of the chain stores and couldn't find anything that I had already tried and found to be unsatisfactory. :confused:

jnesheim
11-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Ah, that would do the trick for me. Fits my budget and my need. I'll start looking for the gadget in the morning, on-line first. Thanks a bunch, Darian!:grin:

oldtrout
11-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I'd appreciate recommendations for a light and magnifier for fly tying. My old eyes need that help. I'm a beginner. Thank you.

Something like this Giraffe?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/oldtrout/TyingStation.jpg