PDA

View Full Version : New TFO BVK fly rods @ Kiene's Fly Shop

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-19-2010, 08:38 AM
We just got in our first shipment today after recently seeing and casting them at our shop.

They are very light, fast action and good looking.

They will be in #3 to #10 line sizes from $224.95 to $249.95

The only thing I see that they did wrong was price them too cheap?

They look and feel like a $500 fly rod.

Come by the shop and cast them.

The first sizes available will be #3 through #10 line sizes in 4 piece.

Other models will follow soon.

We can ship one to you anywhere in the USA. We just shipped one to Hawaii.

Open 7 days a week

Toll free USA 1-800-400-0359

**If you buy a new fly reel with one of these rods we can give you a free Scientific Angler Master GPX floating line
($69.95) and backing, professionally installed, for a package deal.

Free freight and no sales tax except in California.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/rods/bvk-series.html

Jeff C.
11-19-2010, 09:17 AM
I test casted the 8 wt in Bill's parking lot and the rod is fast and feels as light as a Helios. Definitely a great stck to cast and at a very afforable price.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Come by the shop 7 days a week and cast the new BVK TFO fly rods.

briansII
12-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Have you received any 9wts yet?

briansII

amoeba
12-19-2010, 12:22 PM
any #3 or #9 yet?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-19-2010, 04:49 PM
We have all size in stock now..

For $249 they are extremely light...........very nice rods.

Come in to Kiene's and cast them.

Andy Guibord really likes the #8 for Stripers.

Mr T
12-19-2010, 05:10 PM
How would you rate the 8 for a t-14 setup?

I'm currently using a dan craft FT 9 wt, but was wondering if I could pull this off using a bit lighter rod...

Scott V
01-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I cast the 6 weight with 26' of LC13 and it cast very nice. I am hoping to get one sooner or later.

Lincoln Gray
01-03-2011, 09:01 AM
The BVK has been a hit here at the shop in Chico. We have sold many of them in the 8,9 & 10wt. Striper guys are going nuts for this rod.

I agree with Bill, the price is too low. They are a steal at $249.95

Woodman
01-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Anyone know if there are plans for any 9'6" or 10 footers (6 or 7 weight) in the BVK. I'm in the market, but may hold off if its coming.

JW

Terry Thomas
01-03-2011, 05:38 PM
JW
TFO is not known for producing 9 1/2ft rods. In all of their series of rods:BVK, Clouser, Axiom, Finesse, Signature, Professional, TiCr, TiCr X, and Teeny (I would guess over 70 rods), there is only one 9 1/2ft rod. That would be the 9.5 5wt. in the Professional series. They do have a few 10ft rods, so you may have a chance there. The next time I see our rep., I'll ask him for you.
Terry

Lincoln Gray
01-04-2011, 09:57 AM
T -

Actually, I think that they are going to produce a 9'6" 6wt and 7wt in the BVK. The Professional Series has a 9'6" 5wt, and then 5wt-8wt in 10'.
I have the 10' 6wt on the drift boat. They are very good rods.

k9mark
01-30-2011, 12:22 PM
I purchased a BVK 9', 4pc, 5wt at the ISE Show last week. They had a test area set up outside where you could try out different rods. All I can say is this rod is outstanding in every way. They have a real winner there. There was a wind blowing head on while I was test casting it and it punched through beautifully. The best part was getting it for $224! Sage, Loomis, and others are gonna be crying the blues:crybaby: I talked to the Rio line boys and after much discussion and testing, found the Avid line the best casting for the BVK

coolrivertx
02-03-2011, 10:41 AM
I really liked casting the BVK 7#! As mentioned, super light, very nicely finished, and worthy o a higher price tag. Just like my Beavertail skiff! If you look at the TFO website, you will notice that they are light weight and accurate, but don't have as much lifting power as their other series of rods. Myself and a local guide kind of got into a "pissing" contest at the test pond the other day. We were both picking up 60' of line off the water with ease, and with one false cast, able to fire off some pretty long and accurate casts! Well worth the money for many types of fishing, IMO! Brett

Bull_Dog
02-04-2011, 03:49 AM
You got to dance with the one you bring to the party.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-04-2011, 09:45 AM
If any of you get by a fly shop that is a TFO dealer try to pick up and feel a new BVK.

They are a fast action and are very light plus have good cosmetics.

I did hear they planning on a 9'6" and 10' models in #4 and #7 in 4 piece later this fall..

formula1
02-14-2011, 09:07 PM
I really liked casting the BVK 7#! As mentioned, super light, very nicely finished, and worthy o a higher price tag. Just like my Beavertail skiff! If you look at the TFO website, you will notice that they are light weight and accurate, but don't have as much lifting power as their other series of rods. Myself and a local guide kind of got into a "pissing" contest at the test pond the other day. We were both picking up 60' of line off the water with ease, and with one false cast, able to fire off some pretty long and accurate casts! Well worth the money for many types of fishing, IMO! Brett

They are great rods - although the site does indicate they are not meant for lifting I think they are being a bit conservative. The 10 wt received a lot of prototype time with Rob Fordyce who caught a ton of big tarpon in the triple digit range and during development managed to break only a couple of sticks while intentionally red lining the rods. I'll be taking the production 10 wt to take down for my annual Islamorada tarpon trip in May to see if I can break it or not. I've also heard from the TFO folks that the rods are a lot tougher than you think...

mikel
02-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Had a chance to fish my buddy's 8' 3wt for about an hour and it was a sweetheart. He has a Lamson Velocity (1 up from Konic, right?) on it and the balance was very nice with the light reel. I overline my 3's, but would not overline the BVK, myself...at 2.4 oz if you'd like a 3 that feels like a 2/3, I think this is the rod.

-Mike

aaron
02-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Some smaller sizes including 3 and 4 weight bvk's just arrived in the shop.

ssy
02-19-2011, 07:27 AM
is there a big difference between the bvk vs. the clouser rod in casting and lifting?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Mostly the BVKs feel lighter in the hand.

We carry every TFO fly rod made in stock at Kiene's so if you can get here you can feel and cast them too.

I was in a friend's shop in Florida this week and he said if you are looking at buying a new fly rod under $500 there would be only one he would recommend, the BVK @ $249.00

We both agreed that they priced them too low too.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2011, 02:56 PM
We have a new model coming next week....

TFO BVK 9' #6 - 4 pc SW with full wells grip and fighting butt.......Model # 691-4 @ $249.95

**TFO is working on some new BVK sizes that are 9'6" and 10' rods in #4 to 7 weight right now that should be out in the fall.

Larry S
04-30-2011, 03:53 PM
The 6wt merits a serious look. My favorite one hand rod is a St Croix 6wt saltwater
model. The fighting butt was the real selling point for me. Use it both fresh and salt.
It can sling both dry flies and sink tips. Price is mid $300's.
Best, Larry S

Jay Murakoshi
05-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Just talked with Rick from TFO.... Looks like they will be coming out with a 12wt BVK especially for us salt water boys. Possibly sometime in July. This October should be a good test on the rod with the yellow fin.
I'm going after a marlin with the TFO Blue water BB. I've got enough line capacity, just hope the rod has the backbone and doesn't explode.

Jay

jigger
03-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Seen these on the tfo site
Can you guys at Keines get me one?

Dabalone
03-18-2012, 03:10 PM
I think they are made in Korea, I know, I know, most everything is made overseas these days. Well close maybe but not everything, with our own manufacturers and small business's struggling without much help from our govt. to keep trade with foreign manufacturers on a level playing field, I have never been as conscious about buying US made as I am these days.
They are fine rods, and I have been using one for several years but personally I am done buying foreign if I have another viable choice. I don't mind paying more for real US made.
Off my soap box now.

Jay Murakoshi
03-19-2012, 08:29 AM
I was out casting my new BVK 12wt. What a canon. I loaded the rod with a 12wt F/I line and then 30' LC13. I can't wait to have a big rooster on the other end pulling and tugging on the other end. I'm recommending to all my clients to try out the BVK's or TiCrX series if you need to purchase a new rod. I also have 20 rods in La Paz that are for rentals for those that don't want to buy a heavy rod.
For those that would like to catch a bill fish, I will have a new 14 wt rod this year. It's a custom made rod built by Dennis Papike from Oakhurst.

Jay