PDA

View Full Version : Eel River salmon runs

Bruce Slightom
11-19-2010, 07:52 AM
http://www.times-standard.com/localnews/ci_16656489

This article was in todays paper.

Darian
11-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Great news!!! The Lower Eel River is a sentimental favorite of mine. I recall many times driving up after work on a Friday to Ferndale, setting up camp at the fairgrounds and getting dinner before hitting the sack. I'd be out on the river (Singley) at legal fishin' hour, ready to go. :-D

The first thing I'd notice is all of the camera strobe lights being used to activate luminescent materials in lures/flies by all the other anglers. :unibrow: I fished from a pram, mainly, but wouldn't hesitate to wade. Wading limited the number of places you could reach fish, tho. :-|

Some days when the combination of weather/tides were right, there would be so many Salmon in that pool they would be rolling everywhere. Amazing sight and this was in the mid 60's; long after the great runs of earlier times. :D :D

shawn kempkes
12-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Its amazing what happens to escapement when they shut down the commercial fleet. They estimate that over 70 percent of the fish here in Wa are caught in the waters off Ak and Bc before they even get to our coast.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Local drift boat guides have reported to us that the fall salmon runs were up in many Nor Cal valley rivers too.

Especially the Lower Feather River.

I don't think we will be figuring out old mother nature in our lifetimes.