PDA

View Full Version : Fish Finder Advice

Woodman
11-18-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm looking for a sonar unit for my pontoon boat. Lake fishing without knowing depth just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I had one of the Buddy type units several years ago, and it worked reasonably well, but I'm wondering if there is a better option. It always seemed a little cumbersome to me with the long arm to the transducer.

Are there any more compact units with a mounted transducer and cable to the screen? Seems like a transducer strapped to the underside of a pontoon would work.

Anyone tried the Humminbird 160 portable? How large/heavy is it?

Let me know what your experience has been.

Thanks in advance.

JW

Scott V
11-18-2010, 03:09 PM
If you decide to go with a unit I have a brand new in the box unopened Humminbird PiranhaMAX 220 I'll let go for $70. I was going to use it on my pontoon but I rarely use it now, I spend all my time in my float tube. Shigspeed uses one on his float tube with the transducer hooked to a piece of pvc tubing. Send him a PM and he can answer all your questions.

briansII
11-18-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm looking for a sonar unit for my pontoon boat. Lake fishing without knowing depth just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I had one of the Buddy type units several years ago, and it worked reasonably well, but I'm wondering if there is a better option. It always seemed a little cumbersome to me with the long arm to the transducer.

Are there any more compact units with a mounted transducer and cable to the screen? Seems like a transducer strapped to the underside of a pontoon would work.

Anyone tried the Humminbird 160 portable? How large/heavy is it?

Let me know what your experience has been.

Thanks in advance.

JW

The problem with the separate transducer is placement on the pontoon boat. If you mount it under one of the toons, or under the frame someplace, eventually it will get fouled with weeds. Not a problem if you can reach down and clear it, but how many spots on your toon can you easily reach. You could fabricate a mount for the transducer, but you'll still need to be able to reach it. I've gone back and forth in my mind with this issue, and I always end up sticking with a Fishin' Buddy. The downside to the newer models is the battery life isn't all that great. I don't get a full day from mine. My older model would do a day plus, on a set of batteries. Also, I think the non Buddy finders perform a little better.

briansII

Woodman
11-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Scott,

PM Sent. Thanks.

JW

1flyfisher
11-20-2010, 12:08 AM
I mounted a transducer on a folding/swing out arm that I constructed for my kayak. When not it use it lays down on the back of my kayak. I just reach back and flip it into the water. I never really have much of a problem with weeds and if it gets some i can pull them off easily enough. PVC tubing, wood plate. arm with wing nuts and the transducer on the bottom of the tubing with the wire running through the middle. It works great. The unit is a fish eagle. Powered with a little battery tray from radio shack, 8 AA rechargeables, it runs for days. If anyone wants a pic of the construction email me. It should give you some good ideas.

The problem with the separate transducer is placement on the pontoon boat. If you mount it under one of the toons, or under the frame someplace, eventually it will get fouled with weeds. Not a problem if you can reach down and clear it, but how many spots on your toon can you easily reach. You could fabricate a mount for the transducer, but you'll still need to be able to reach it. I've gone back and forth in my mind with this issue, and I always end up sticking with a Fishin' Buddy. The downside to the newer models is the battery life isn't all that great. I don't get a full day from mine. My older model would do a day plus, on a set of batteries. Also, I think the non Buddy finders perform a little better.

briansII