PDA

View Full Version : Fisherman/boat access below Hwy 20 bridge (Yuba)

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-17-2010, 06:11 PM
I currently attend the Lower Yuba River Fisheries Technical Working Group meetings, on behalf of Granite Bay Flycasters and Northern CA Council Federation of Flyfishers, that are being held periodically which are focused on planning the rehabilitation of 4 mi of river below the hwy 20 bridge. Presently, although concerns have been voiced to the group in previous meetings by a few clubs and guides, there are no guarantees that we will continue to have that access when all is said and done. And, the same three organizations are working together on this project: Western Aggregates, SYRCL, and YOA [although, YOA has yet to attend any of the public forum mtgs I've been to :-k].

Now, mind you, this will take several years to truly take effect. However - the time is now, if we want to ensure future access. I am going to 'head' a group to work on securing access for fisherman and their drift boats where they are currently launching off Hammonton Road. I cannot do this alone.[-(

If you want to have a voice in the outcome and are willing to put in some time and get your hands dirty:nod:, PM me your e-mail address and other contact information. I will begin a distribution list so organization can begin.

I will act as a liaison between fisherman and the LYRFTWG.:-\"

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Well - so far I've got 3 volunteers.... :-\"

By the way - meetings will most likely be held during evening hours, as I, too, work during the day.

Ralph
11-18-2010, 02:09 PM
THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! Thanks Robin. This won't work unless ALL the shops, guides and private drift boat users put their collective heads (and a few coins) into the pot. I would suggest the first order of business be to hire an attorney to look at all the easement and property boundary questions that are floating around. Most legal "opinions" have been coming from a retired UPS driver and hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours have been wasted separating conspiracy theories from the facts. Stop chasing rumors, hire a REAL lawyer, start from a foundation of legal certainty, and go from there.

Jeff Fisher
11-18-2010, 02:41 PM
What type of rehab is taking place? Streambed? Riparian vegetation (trees)? Reclamation?

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Here are some links to get you started...

FAQ:
http://yubariver.org/yuba-rehabilitation-faqs

Rehabilitation Concepts Report - released 11/15/2010:
http://yubariver.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/cbec_LYR_Rehabilitation_Concepts.pdf

Tony Buzolich
11-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Robin,

In this morning's Appeal / Democrat (11/18/10) there is an article stating that the Army Corps of Engineers will begin salmon restoration this Saturday. The plan as stated is to pour 5,000 tons of gravel below Englebright Dam over the next six weeks to create channels and back channels for the benefit of both steelhead and salmon. It said that gravel will actually be deposited in the river by pipes. Gravel delivery to Corps property will actually begin Thursday ( TODAY ?).

Sean Warren Smith Inc. received a $343,840.00 grant in September to do the habitat restoration.

That's all the article had to say. I'm sure if you needed more info about what is going on up there the Appeal/Democrat could give you some more details.
TONY

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Yes - the gravel augmentation project will begin this Saturday and take the better part of the next 6 weeks. Doug Grothe of the Army Corps actually gave us that update himself at the meeting I attended yesterday. It was also in the Sacramento Bee as well. They are starting with 5,000 tons, but may need as much as 15,000, depending on the distribution results. This is above Deer Creek to Englebright Dam, upriver from the proposed conservation easement, but part of the Habitat Expansion Agreement with PG&E. They are obligated to provide habitat expansion to support the spawning of 2,000-3,000 fish.

Thanks for the heads up! :nod:

royewest
11-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Here is a link to a paper on re-establishing chinook spawning habitat directly below Englebright by removing shot-rock and then injecting gravel:

http://www.escholarship.org/uc/item/51f4t5dg?display=all#page-1

The same article in a format that's a little easier to read on line:

http://ucanr.org/repository/cao/landingpage.cfm?article=ca.v064n02p69&fulltext=yes

PDF that describes the 500-ton experiment and results:

http://www.yubaaccordrmt.com/Studies%20%20Reports/Gravel%20Augmentation/Pasternack%202009%20-%20Status%20of%20Yuba%20Gravel%20Injection.pdf

Does anyone know if any shot-rock was removed before the gravel injection? This paper suggests that's a key part of the process...

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Does anyone know if any shot-rock was removed before the gravel injection? This paper suggests that's a key part of the process...

I sure can't find anything that describes any shot rock removal prior to the gravel injection they're planning. That just doesn't make any sense. If/when that gravel ever gets flushed downstream again [during severe high-flow conditions, like in 2006], they'll still have the shot rock preventing spawning grounds again?

](*,)

Although, Pasternack's report states "Specifically, the massive amount of undesirable shot rock debris located there (~170,000 yds3) should be removed off site and replaced with ~100,000 yds3of suitable rounded river gravel, to be placed by rational design using the Spawning HabitatIntegrated Rehabilitation Approach of Wheaton et al"

But, I can't see where anything says they will really do that.

thekid
11-21-2010, 09:32 AM
I don't get why they would dump gravel in this river? Have they ever been there? The Yuba is full of perfect size spawning gravel for salmon. At some point leaving this poor river alone is probably the best thing we could do for the salmon. Fished the Yuba on friday down by hammond grove. Reds everywhere! few salmon. probably already done their thing. This gravel idea doesn't make any sense!

thekid

what kind of gravel do they use?

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Hammond is much farther downstream from where this is taking place. The salmon don't spawn in the area just below Englebright because the riverbed is not adequate for it due to the shot rock accumulation...

If you check out the links that royewest provided, it will make more sense.... :nod:

Darian
11-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Not to make the situation more complicated but I was doing some research on Westlands recently and noticed Agenda Item 7., from their Water Policy Sub-Committee titled: Proposed Yuba Accord Purchase. The date of these minutes was 10/16/10. No other info available about this on the website. I'm wondering if anyone involved with the current project has heard anything about Westlands acquiring an interest in lands along the Yuba.... :?: :confused:

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-23-2010, 06:33 AM
:eek: Geez - no, I hadn't heard anything about it... can't really speak for anyone else.

Thank you for the heads up! Can you send me the link to that?

Darian
11-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Check your PM's.... :D

amoeba
11-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Not to make the situation more complicated but I was doing some research on Westlands recently and noticed Agenda Item 7., from their Water Policy Sub-Committee titled: Proposed Yuba Accord Purchase. The date of these minutes was 10/16/10. No other info available about this on the website. I'm wondering if anyone involved with the current project has heard anything about Westlands acquiring an interest in lands along the Yuba.... :?: :confused:

Maybe Westlands is buying water that flowed down the Yuba River? I don't think that particular document (Yuba Accord) as it is commonly referred to has to do with westlands or land purchases necessarily.

Darian
11-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Amoeba,.... Maybe. I was thinking more along the lines of past history with the purchase of land along the McCloud and in the flood plain in Yolo County. There was no mention of any negotiations with Yuba or Sutter Counties or their water agencies.... :confused:

Darian
12-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Amoeba,.... Just re-read your post and found myself wondering of there is a document called "....Yuba Accord...." as indicated in your post. :confused: If you have any info on this, please advise. :)

amoeba
12-01-2010, 08:12 PM
google it and you shall receive

Mrs.Finsallaround
12-01-2010, 08:57 PM
From http://www.usbr.gov/mp/nepa/nepa_projdetails.cfm?Project_ID=2549:
Title:
Lower Yuba River Accord EIS/EIR
Site:
Summary:
The Yuba Accord includes three separate but interrelated agreements that would result in enhancement of fisheries protection on the lower Yuba River, increase certainty of local supply reliability, and provide DWR and Reclamation with increased operational flexibility for protection of Delta fisheries resources through the EWA Program, and provision of supplemental water supplies to state and federal water contractors.

12/05/2007:
NOI published June 20, 2005. Draft EIS/EIR available for public review on June 25, 2007 - see files below. Appendices F and G were too large for data base access. A DVD or bound copy of entire document is available from Dianne Simodynes, telephone: (916) 569-1096. Final EIR/EIS available on December 6, 2007.

Also found this: http://www.usbr.gov/mp/cvo/OCAP/docs/OCAP_BA_001.pdf

What do you make of it Darian?

Darian
12-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the info, links. Looks like Amoeba is correct. The accord mentioned in the document link was for transfer of water. That answers my concern. The document was created in 2008 and appears to be a response to Judge Wangers decision in USDC to limit diversions from the delta until certain actions are completed. Sorry for the summation, there's too much info in the document to digest in a short period. :D

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey everyone - don't worry, haven't forgotten this.... So far there're about 8 of us that are willing to put in some time and effort. :)

Looks like there will be an on-site tour of Parks Bar with SYRCL, USFWS, and Yuba County F&G (?) in the next few weeks that I will be attending, so I'll have a little more info to go on in order organize an initial 'meeting' of sorts of our new little committee. 8-)

Those of you that PM'd me your info will be receiving an e-mail from me in the next month or so. :nod:

Thanks to all that have volunteered thus far! :thumbsup:

590Mike
01-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Robin
thanks for heading this up. I think a fund might help so I will go through my closet and find a rod I can donate. I'll let you know what I can part with.
Mike

amoeba
01-27-2011, 07:46 PM
I currently attend the Lower Yuba River Fisheries Technical Working Group meetings, on behalf of Granite Bay Flycasters and Northern CA Council Federation of Flyfishers, that are being held periodically which are focused on planning the rehabilitation of 4 mi of river below the hwy 20 bridge. Presently, although concerns have been voiced to the group in previous meetings by a few clubs and guides, there are no guarantees that we will continue to have that access when all is said and done. And, the same three organizations are working together on this project: Western Aggregates, SYRCL, and YOA [although, YOA has yet to attend any of the public forum mtgs I've been to :-k].

Now, mind you, this will take several years to truly take effect. However - the time is now, if we want to ensure future access. I am going to 'head' a group to work on securing access for fisherman and their drift boats where they are currently launching off Hammonton Road. I cannot do this alone.[-(

If you want to have a voice in the outcome and are willing to put in some time and get your hands dirty:nod:, PM me your e-mail address and other contact information. I will begin a distribution list so organization can begin.

I will act as a liaison between fisherman and the LYRFTWG.:-\"

What access are you talking about?

I thought there already is permanent legal access using the highway easement under 20 from the north side, which involves carrying your boat under the bridge where they have that bar mounted on the guardrail. There's nothing on the south side I know of that's public/legal (the highway easement on that side is a cliff, the rest I believe is private), allowing driving vehicles and trailers on the gravel bars right up to the river edge/into the water, is there? Same thing at Hammond Grove park. You can carry your boat out of the water, up over the guardrail there, to your vehicle. I thought people weren't supposed to be off-roading.

Please clarify the current situation (correct me if wrong) regarding boat launches.

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-27-2011, 09:52 PM
What access are you talking about?

I thought there already is permanent legal access using the highway easement under 20 from the north side, which involves carrying your boat under the bridge where they have that bar mounted on the guardrail. There's nothing on the south side I know of that's public/legal (the highway easement on that side is a cliff, the rest I believe is private), allowing driving vehicles and trailers on the gravel bars right up to the river edge/into the water, is there? Same thing at Hammond Grove park. You can carry your boat out of the water, up over the guardrail there, to your vehicle. I thought people weren't supposed to be off-roading.

Please clarify the current situation (correct me if wrong) regarding boat launches.

Correct, there is no legal launch access on the south side of the river at the highway 20 bridge. And, no, people are not supposed to be off-roading. However, people continue to access it anyway by crossing Western Aggregate owned land above the high water line in order to launch their drift boats, and OHVs use the land and leave their messes behind.

This issue has been discussed on this board for well over a year... You'll need to catch up by reading the following posts:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18132&highlight=Lower+Yuba+River+Access

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18522&highlight=Lower+Yuba+River+Access

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18450&highlight=Lower+Yuba+River+Access

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18241&highlight=Lower+Yuba+River+Access

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18416&highlight=Lower+Yuba+River+Access

Any more questions after you've caught up, let me know... 8)

amoeba
01-28-2011, 11:31 AM
I think I've got it; physical barrier (cable) proposed permits continued pedestrian access; no public access for vehicles on the river bed (including anywhere on the gravel bar, never has been); no public boat launches involving vehicles or trailers (never has been). Effort being made to protect habitat via enforced vehicular prohibition. Carraige of light boats to river at several points permitted; go get a buddy or three to carry your boat.

amoeba
02-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I think I've got it; physical barrier (cable) proposed permits continued pedestrian access; no public access for vehicles on the river bed (including anywhere on the gravel bar, never has been); no public boat launches involving vehicles or trailers (never has been). Effort being made to protect habitat via enforced vehicular prohibition. Carraige of light boats to river at several points permitted; go get a buddy or three to carry your boat.

Judging by the dozen vehicles and trailers parked all over the gravel bar under and up to 2 miles downstream of 20 on the south side on 1/29/11 when I last went (a slower day - as weekend fishing goes), and the various dirt roads created by them, it won't break my heart or affect my fishing in any way when the cable barrier is put up. I'm perfectly capable of carrying a small watercraft; or walking; and have done both. If anything - the cable barrier means less lazy and inconsiderate people who drive their cars on the gravel bar, disturb the environment, and disturb my fishing. Bring it on.

You couldn't have said it better than your recent post, below:

"Correct, there is no legal launch access on the south side of the river at the highway 20 bridge. And, no, people are not supposed to be off-roading. However, people continue to access it anyway by crossing Western Aggregate owned land above the high water line in order to launch their drift boats, and OHVs use the land and leave their messes behind. "

Mrs.Finsallaround
06-08-2011, 12:37 PM
I am co-chairing this coalition with John Felde, Conservation Chairperson for Gold Country Fly Fishers and will continue to serve as liaison between anglers/guides/clubs and the Lower Yuba River Technical Working Group. This letter was recently sent out:
__________________________________________________ _______________

My name is John Felde and as the chairman of the Conservation Committee of the Gold Country Fly Fishers, I am writing on behalf of the club. The club is located in Nevada County and consists of approximately 170 members. The Lower Yuba River is our home waters.

We have concerns over angler public access to the Lower Yuba as it serves as a major fishing location for both local residents and those who come from more urban areas like Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay area. This river has a long history as a favored fishing location, particularly for fly fishers. Its fishery is well known and its quality is unparalleled in central California.

In recent years access for the public has become more and more restricted from Englebright Dam downstream to Marysville. The last vestige of historical public access is now from the Highway 20 Bridge to the BLM lands on the south side of the river. We recognize that Western Aggregate owns the land, but they have allowed access here for many years from Hammonton Road to the river. We share their concerns over inappropriate use of the land by ATVs and other motorized vehicles, and would like the opportunity to develop a shared access settlement for anglers.

Toward that end, we are interested in forming the LOWER YUBA RIVER PUBLIC ACCESS COALITION, a group of stake holders that are interested in maintaining public access for walk and wade fishing. Additionally, we support a permanent boat launch access at or near the Highway 20 Bridge, as this has long been a location that both guides and unattached anglers use for launching drift boats and other suitable watercraft. Therefore, we are soliciting your participation as a member of this coalition and your support of retaining public access.

If your organization is interested in being a part of this important opportunity to prevent privatization of access to a long established publicly owned waterway and ensure public access for fishing and other recreation uses, please complete the form below and mail it to Gold Country Fly Fishers.
Members will receive a list of participants via e-mail.

Very sincerely yours,

John Felde
Conservation Chair
Gold Country Fly Fishers
__________________________________________________ ______________

I'd like to note that, although the letter above references a 'permanent boat launch', this does not necessarily mean a concrete launch pad. It simply means that trucks/trailers will be able to launch the 'larger, heavier' drift boats under the Hwy 20 bridge. We just want to secure legal access between Hammonton Road and the public easement under the bridge so this is possible.:nod:

Rest assured, we are currently working with the Yuba County Fish & Game Commission on this issue. We believe things are headed in the right direction to secure this access [legally]. Eight of you on this BB have sent me your name/contact info via PM and I will include you in future communication from the Coalition regarding this issue. If anyone else is interested, you may send me a PM or e-mail me at Tggr514@yahoo.com.

Also, if you have questions about the current status of this issue, please feel free to send them to me via PM or e-mail as well. I am personally involved in this issue on several fronts, rather than simply having a personal viewpoint.8-)

Thanks!

Bob Laskodi
06-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Robin, Thank you for your involvement on this issue. I think you are headed in the right direction and keep up the good work.