PDA

View Full Version : Line help

fx21basser
11-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Hello all
I need to replace heavy sinking tip line. I am a beginner fly fisherman, I have been using the SA striper line 400 gr. But it now has split was wondering if I should go to the rio t14 or dc 26 . I am throwing this on a 9 wt.
Thx In Advance
Hass

Scott V
11-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Get 30' of t14 and cast it, if it feels heavy or hard to throw just trim a little off. Bill has 30' lengths with braided loops on it in the package, best way to go in my opinion.

civicrr
11-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Being new myself, I asked a similar question not too long ago. Most everyone said to get some version of Rio fast sinking line.

Rio Outbound Short S6 (30' head, 375gr)

Rio Outbound Custom Cut T-14 (cut head to desired weight)

T-14 head with a intermediate running line

Seemed line the DC26 was "what people used to use"

Darian
11-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Being a beginner, you have several things to consider here. First, you're replacing a full line. Your note indicates you either want to replace it with another full line or a shooting head. A full line replacement will cost you more than a shooting head of any type. However, the next choice, after buying a shooting head is to buy a running/shooting line which raises the cost. :-|

If a shooting head system isn't what you want, there're some very good integrated shooting head lines out there. For example, a Rio Outbound or Outbound Short and others. If you choose, you can get a sinking head with a floating or intermediate running line. The running line section of an Outbound line is a very thin diameter for better casting. :nod:

There's for too much to discuss on this subject here. I'd suggest taking your reel/rod to your local fly shop, asking questions and making your decision there. 8-)

Tony Buzolich
11-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Here's your biggest decision, but, once you go to an integrated line you get spoiled real quick and hardly ever go back. With the head system you will always have that click-click-click sound as the loops go through your guides. Integrated lines completely eliminate that.

As for cost, S/A makes their Custom Cut Integrated line for only $39.95 the last time I checked. I doubt you could buy a new head and running line for much less.

As for weight, 400gr. is a bit heavy for a 9 weight. Try one of the custom cut lines and cut back to 350gr. and you'll be right in the bracket as to weight.

If you buy one of the "custom cut" lines, measure the length of the head you want from the TRANSITION (where the running line and head join) and NOT from the end of the line they give you. I've had several friends cut from the END and then come up short as to total head length. Not all lines are exactly the length they say they are in the box. Just measure forward from the transition then make your cut to whatever length you want.

Once cut, add two feet of 40# mono for a butt section to the head with an Albright knot and a double surgeon loop at the other end. From here add 2'-3' of 20# mono for the rest of your leader with a double surgeon loop on one end to be looped to the butt, and the other end to your fly. At your fly use a Homer Rhodes loop knot and you're set to go.

As for brands, it'll be hard to tell the difference until you've been at it a while. All of the manufacturers use tungstun now instead of lead for enviromental reasons.

Hope this helps, TONY

jcanger
11-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Check your PMs.

briansII
11-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I'd be incline to suggests the same line as Tony did. The SA Custom Cut line is cheap, and good. Since you have some experience with SA lines, the transition to a new line won't be such a big step. The Rio Outbound, Custom Cut T14(my go to integrated line) is a nice line, but the running line is thinner than the SA. Some folks don't like that, because it's a little harder to grip. If you decide to go with a shooting head system, take a look at Airflo's, Ridge, intermediate running line. I've tried a lot of shooting lines, and this one has been the most user friendly. It's very thin, but still relatively easy to grip. Very few tangles, and shoots extremely well.

briansII

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-16-2010, 11:04 AM
briansII is pretty much on the money.

The Rio Outbound Short WF9I/type 6 is very nice to cast but is not going to sink as fast as T-14 or cut throw the heavy Delta winds as well with a big fly.

The Rio DC 26' integrated is very nice to cast but the same as the OBS type 6.

For a second slightly slower sinking line (outfit in the boat) some are liking the new Rio OBS type 6 CW now.