PDA

View Full Version : Participation....

Darian
11-15-2010, 03:40 PM
There was an interesting response in the Sunday, SacBee from a Director of Westlands Water District to a prior letter from a commercial Salmon fisherman who was lamenting the loss of his way of life, etc., due to closures required to protect fisheries. After reading both, I found that I was not really sympathetic to either person. I guess if I had to pick one, I'd side with the commercial fisherman as he's going to have to change how he makes his living. Westlands is definitely going to be around for a long time. However, both had arguments that were each a great example of spin to protect their own monetary interests at the expense of fish. :|

I'm not going into any detail on the above as I want to take time to address a question that David Lee raised in a prior thread. Does anyone take time to read this stuff :question: :question: I've wondered that same thing for a long time. I check on the number of views as time passes for a particular thread or subject matter and am convinced that this Forum is, basically, a waste of space for the BB. As an example, there has been a recent thread titled something like Farmers Selling Water. One of the posts asks a question about whether this is new :question: :confused: Until recently, I've been writing about water sales and surrounding issues in this Forum for several years thinking there might be some interest. This example isn't the only one I could bring up but.... :neutral:

I decided a while ago to stop wasting my time. People either will inform themselves or not on their own.... :D

DFrink
11-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Darian,

I regularly read your (and other's) posts in the conservation section of this BB. I have even taken time to read attached articles, write my senator (one time) and read what I can on related topics as they are of interest to me. One reason that I usually don't respond is that I simply don't feel truly informed of all sides (this is not to say that I feel I am getting bad information). I don't want to go off on a topic only to find out that I hadn't "done my homework". I do appreciate information that is shared here since it's where I am kept "up to speed" with what's going on with our states water problems. My Grandfather is also the President of a local water board in the Foothills so I spend time talking with him about his perspective on things. I'm not a lazy person, but with work, kids and attempting to finish my 2nd degree I often just don't have time to do the research that I feel I need to do in order to contribute intelligently to the discussion. Please don't stop keeping me (and others) informed. I won't have little ones and school forever, I'm sure some time in my future I will be able to make more time to study these interesting topics.

Dan

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Well... I read this forum - every time there's a new post :D

I thoroughly appreciate the wasted space, as there has been more than one occasion when I've missed something in the news and found it here....

I say - keep posting! As will I.... as long as there is a forum to do so.

luckydog
11-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Although I'm new to this message board, I don't think communication on these issues is a waste of space on this board.

I think that we're all interested in having enough water for fish and people. We are more likely to get involved if we understand the facts, arguments, trade-offs and points of view.

David Lee
11-15-2010, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to say 'waste' .....

Fact is .... it is a flyfishing BB , not so much a 'save the planet'/conservation type board , and that's OK . I am often slightly dissapointed by people not throwing themselves into whatever issue is at hand , but I personally didn't really get that involved until 2006 during the Prospect Island mess .

I also have a bad habit of inflicting my own personal sense of morality/opinions onto others over whatever issue happens to be at hand . This is something that I am aware of and will try to curb in the future . I am pleased that we have this section here as I have learned a lot from it , and it's great that we have people like Robin , Mike M. , Darian , Ed , etc. , that keep up with things that concern out fisheries .

D.~

Hairstacker
11-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't say it's a waste either. I read the stuff in this section, including the one David posted on those tasty Blackened Redfish (:D). I rarely respond, though, because like Dan, I just don't feel personally informed well enough to have an opinion worth sharing. I still like to try to get a sense of what's going on, though.