PDA

View Full Version : Indian Creek Reservoir

Scott V
11-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Went to ICR on Saturday with a good friend, we weren't expecting much since we knew it would be real cold. Got to the lake about 8:30 to no wind and a nice sunny sky. Snow on the hills around us but not where we were. Fished til about 1:30 that is when the wind dropped the air temp by about 15 degrees in about 2 minutes. We both got 1 fish, mine was about 17" his was around 20". The highlight of the day was the biggest bald eagle I have seen fly about 20 feet right over me, made my whole day and even my whole weekend. Didn't even bother trying to take a picture, wanted to watch it the whole time. On the way up to ICR you get fall colors along 50 until you get to the snow, it is a beautiful time in the mountains right now. Lake temp is was brisk 44 degrees, cold but not freezing cold.fish fought real hard for such cold water, they even jumped.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/indian/IMGP3193.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/indian/IMGP3197.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/indian/IMGP3199.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/indian/IMGP3200.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/indian/IMGP3204.jpg

Darian
11-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Scott,... Keep ICR in mind for next spring. That lake has a lot of insect varieties in it and grows some large fish.... I've caught fish there on midges, buggers and everything in between.... The plus is that it's a short hike in to the East Carson from that area after run-off stops.... Interesting place. 8)

Scott V
11-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Darian ICR is one of my favorite places, I caught my biggest brown there about a 24 incher.

gene goss
11-15-2010, 08:08 AM
I was looking for a post on Pyramid from you....ICR was a probably a better choice with the north wind that was going to blow at Pyramid....but....i think some people were floattubing Pyramid on Sat....nice pictures.

Scott V
11-15-2010, 08:48 AM
I was looking for a post on Pyramid from you....ICR was a probably a better choice with the north wind that was going to blow at Pyramid....but....i think some people were floattubing Pyramid on Sat....nice pictures.

I took Bill King with me and had a blast, how are you recovering from surgery?

caniretireyet?
11-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Howdy-- A great spot indeed, and one of my favorite spot for big trout. Here's something I'd love to hear back from all who have been there: on my last trip, my buddy caught a 3 inch small mouth there. Another buddy reported the same thing. Does anyone know anything about small mouth bass being in Indian Creek? I worry they'll trash the trout fishery there, and wonder if some yahoo pulled a midnight bucket planting. Does DFG know about this? Or, am I chicken little and they've been in there for years, and I've never seen any till now?

Please enlighten me!

Steve

Darian
11-15-2010, 10:33 PM
I've kinda kept an eye out on the lake and this is the first I've heard about Smallies in there. Alpine County has its own F&G program, including it's own wardens. The county contributes to stocking many local waters. Wouldn't surprise me that someone slipped Smallies in there.... Red Lake may be next. :confused:

zubifish
11-16-2010, 09:11 AM
My Buddy and I fished it the second week of October it was slow we caught seven fish al day. One of the fish I caught was a Large Mouth Bass. I had been told not to be surpised if I caught one by the folks at The Anglers Edge in Minden.

gene goss
11-16-2010, 09:26 AM
I took Bill King with me and had a blast, how are you recovering from surgery?

The stitches are coming out today.....so we will see what i can do with the old knee....glade you and bill king got out for some fishing.

Scott V
11-16-2010, 09:29 AM
My Buddy and I fished it the second week of October it was slow we caught seven fish al day. One of the fish I caught was a Large Mouth Bass. I had been told not to be surpised if I caught one by the folks at The Anglers Edge in Minden.

That amazes me about the bass being there, especially a lake that freezes.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-16-2010, 10:52 AM
I would guess that May/June and October are good month to fish Indian Creek Reservoir.

A group of us camped and fished there about 30 years ago. Someone had one giant old wall tent we all slept in. I use to have a photo of a really fat fish my brother Dick had caught on that trip, not that long but really fat.

South Tahoe water district use to ship their treated sewer water over the hill into Indian Creek Reservoir.

Eric M
11-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Back in the early 70's , when I was an early teen and couldn't drive yet, my grandfather refused to take me there to fish. He called it Pee Pee Lake. We drove by it dozens of times on our way to the East Fork of the Carson. He would hold his nose everytime we would pass the turn off on 89.

Fochetti
11-17-2010, 10:31 PM
All of the water now comes from a diversion in in the East Carson River. No more recycled water.