PDA

View Full Version : Back from the brink , now what ??

David Lee
11-14-2010, 10:54 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bringing_back_redfish

Last time I checked , Reds were almost wiped-out due to the Blackened Redfish craze .... I guess it doesn't pay to have a healthy resource sittin' around , going to waste ?

D.~

Ed Wahl
11-14-2010, 09:17 PM
+1 David.

So there's all these fish just needing a market to form so they can be harvested by the millions of pounds.

McRedfish sandwiches?

How are they doing finding a market for the millions of pounds of Asian Carp invading the Missippi River drainage?

Maybe another big fat federal grant is in order.

Ed

Jgoding
11-15-2010, 10:08 AM
So I was confused.... I've heard that redfish were almost fished to the brink and I always thought it was the red drum "redfish" but it was this one? It really bothered me that their attitude is that all those fish are just ready to be made in fillets outlook on the species.... like that's the best thing these fish deserve since they're doing so well. Ask the bluefin tuna how that's working out for them....

David Lee
11-15-2010, 10:34 AM
So I was confused.... I've heard that redfish were almost fished to the brink and I always thought it was the red drum "redfish" but it was this one? It really bothered me that their attitude is that all those fish are just ready to be made in fillets outlook on the species.... like that's the best thing these fish deserve since they're doing so well. Ask the bluefin tuna how that's working out for them....

Nope , the story is about North Atlantic Redfish , NOT Red Drum (totally different species) .

I put the blackened Redfish thing up to see if anyone actually reads the conservation posts . The lack of replies makes me wonder sometimes ......

And .... you are quite correct . Considering just about ALL of the North Atlantic fish stocks are hosed , why draw attention to one of the few stable ones ? I'll wager we see a 75% decline in NA Redfish stocks over the next 10 years .

D.~

Darian
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
The version of Redfish (Red Drum) in the Gulf states area were over fished (commercial and recreational) from the late '50s thru the late 60's and almost disappeared. However, in this case each gulf coast state adopted conservation measures such as C&R, slot limits and no take areas. Also, they strictly enforce their regulations. The result is Redfish are abubant anywhere in the Gulf of Mexico and up thru the Carolina's. :nod:

SHigSpeed
11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
+1 David.

So there's all these fish just needing a market to form so they can be harvested by the millions of pounds.

McRedfish sandwiches?

How are they doing finding a market for the millions of pounds of Asian Carp invading the Missippi River drainage?

Maybe another big fat federal grant is in order.

Ed

I think Asian carp should be harvested for cat food! I read a can recently and it had SALMON in it! Better that what I eat... Jeez!

_SHig

David Lee
11-15-2010, 02:21 PM
I think Asian carp should be harvested for cat food! I read a can recently and it had SALMON in it! Better that what I eat... Jeez!

_SHig

Interesting fact -

Most of Asia , and a large part of Europe both value Carp as a tasty food fish . Perhaps we really need to learn to cook different things than the ones we are used to ?

D.~

SHigSpeed
11-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Interesting fact -

Most of Asia , and a large part of Europe both value Carp as a tasty food fish . Perhaps we really need to learn to cook different things than the ones we are used to ?

D.~

True enough. I watched a video where a top chef took one and tried to fillet it and there was a LOT of wasted due to bones and such. Also very tough skin and flesh - he was whacking it with a cleaver without much effect. He said it bled like a mammal more than a fish. Ew... BUT, if it's all trash anyway (at least to the discerning palates of the Murricans) why not grind it into Meow Mix?

Funny how Hawaiians view tilapia as trash but the mainlanders seem to have adopted it as some sort of fancy white fish!

_SHig

Darian
11-15-2010, 03:06 PM
C'mon guys.... Almost every live fish you see in a water tank at a Chinese restaurant is a carp. :nod: They are usually prepared by poaching, steaming or baking, roasting and then served whole with some sauce. You then pick off the meat from the bones with a fork or chop sticks. The times I've eaten them, it's been very good. 8-)

The bones in Carp are the same issue as with Shad. I know at least one grower in the Marysville area that catches some Shad in the AM, returns home to fry it whole and picks the meat off with a fork. He claims it's really good. If I ever get chance to catch another Shad, I'm gonna try it. :D

Of course, grinding them up to feed animals/pets isn't a bad idea either.... :D

David Lee
11-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Strangely , all the fish I've seen in Chinese places have been Channel Catfish or Black Bass .

I pickled some Shad this past Spring following Lee S.'s recipe - everyone that ate it gave a thumbs up (I didn't , I don't care much for pickled fish ....) . Carp as pet food would solve a lot of problems ....

D.~