PDA

View Full Version : Trinity Bound

NCL
11-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Out of here in a few mintues to see if I can find some cooperative Trinity steel. Now what did I do with that magnet?

NCL
11-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Well this is a good news bad news report, the good news, at least for me, was I got to fish, the river was beautiful, I saw a fish caught so I know they were there, the bad news is I didn't catch anything. I was going again today but my foot is acting up so I am taking the cautious approach.

Sammy
11-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Sounds like everyone is going up there this weekend :) yeeee hawwww see ya'll in a few hours

NCL
11-13-2010, 08:07 AM
You probably will not get lonely on the Trinity from now until the end of the year. Good luck to you.

Tim P
11-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I fished from Fri 11/5 through Thu 11/11 - seven days on the bank, no guides. 3 days below JC, and 4 days above.

This was the first time I fished the T in November - usually I have gone in Dec/Jan. I was a little taken aback by the number of boats. This past Thursday, there were 11 trailers at Pigeon, and from day to day it was not uncommon to find 6 or 7 trailers at SB, IC, and Sky Ranch with one or two at Dutton, Evans, JC campground, or Bagdad. Seems that a few were launching from the Poker Bar area as well. Didn't look at Browns or Rush - but there were easily 30+ boats on the river.

If you are on foot, you can devise a strategy to work water ahead of the boats - or just fish below Pigeon and then you only have to contend with other bank anglers. I encountered other bank anglers all the way down to Del Loma.

I jumped 3 (and fortunately landed them) in seven 11-hour days of fishing; generally I had with me a swing rod and an indicator rod, and used whatever seemed appropriate for the water; two of the fish on the 'cater rig and 1 on the swing. I think I fished at more than 25 locations along the river. Best fish was caught on the swing - a nice 26" hatchery hen.

Over the weekend I was joined by two friends who each jumped one fish but both were lost before the net. Between my results and theirs, this works out to something less than one jumped adult (per angler) for every two full days of fishing.

I expect that bank anglers will have similar results this weekend, given the fair weather.

tim

Sammy
11-13-2010, 10:08 PM
you are correct so far tim. We fished all day between the 4 of us. One half pounder to net, and several missed takes. (and several no takes)

No less then 10 boats drifted past me, and we were fishing up in the bucktail area. Every run is getting hammered. Still holding out hope for my first trinity steelhead.

Side note: Fell into the river this morning up to my neck. Very very cold :)
Still fished, but came back to the cabin shivering like mad man.

Still have a few more days up here. We'll see what happnes. Water is low and clear. Still an great way to spend the day, and we're wrapping it up with some beers and a sharks game.