PDA

View Full Version : Farmers selling water...

mikel
11-10-2010, 07:20 PM
saw this on the web site for KSBW (central coast TV) and thought I'd share it. Doesn't seem like a lot of water, but the message does seem clear. These guys can make more selling water from the "parched" central valley than growing crops.
--------------------------------

HANFORD, Calif. -- Two farmers in central California's parched western valley are proposing to sell much of the irrigation water they get from the state to urban developers in Southern California.

The proposed $11.7 million deal would transfer 1,998 acre-feet of water from two Kings County growers' land to Tejon Ranch Co. The company is planning a sprawling urban development along Interstate 5, south of Bakersfield.

Tejon Ranch would pay $5,850 per acre-foot, which is the amount of water that floods an acre of land to a depth of one foot.

The two hopeful sellers, 3R Land and Development and Donald Jackson, grow stone fruit trees and own land within the Dudley Ridge Water District.

Treasurer Rick Besecker said the sale likely will be approved at the district's Dec. 8 meeting.

huntindog
11-11-2010, 08:27 AM
I am sure they will have a sign up on their property blaming the govt for creating the "dust bowl"

Scott V
11-11-2010, 09:47 AM
If they are not getting enough water to grow their own plants "which is what I always hear or read" how can they sell off water and still be able to grow their own crops? Or have they stopped farming all together and are just the middle man for the sale of water?

mikel
11-11-2010, 10:03 AM
If they are not getting enough water to grow their own plants "which is what I always hear or read" how can they sell off water and still be able to grow their own crops? Or have they stopped farming all together and are just the middle man for the sale of water?

yeah, well, those ARE the questions, aren't they? I wonder how much more of this is going on, although I assume it all is on record someplace...