PDA

View Full Version : nets on the trinity

Sammy
11-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Can someone why they have nets on the trinity river in Hoopa area? I've heard a tiny bit about it, but don't understand why they would be there, and how that is even considered!!

luckydog
11-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Can someone why they have nets on the trinity river in Hoopa area? I've heard a tiny bit about it, but don't understand why they would be there, and how that is even considered!!

The Hoopa and Yurok tribes used gillnets within their reservations to take a set amount of fish each year from the Trinity and Klamath rivers. They have been using gillnets for centuries and it is part of their tradition.

State law prohibits the use of gillnets in rivers but these tribes are not subject to State law, they are sovereign and self-governing (more info here http://www.hoopa-nsn.gov/news/selfgovernance.htm). This means that they can legally gillnet for subsistence, cultural and commercial purposes. The amount of fish they can catch is set annually by the Pacific Fisheries Management Council, which is in charge of regulating sport and commercial salmon fishing on the west coast.

This has been a controversial subject for years. There are elements of greed, jealously, racism, and some science in the mix (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1095010/1/index.htm). There has been violence and gunfire. Arguably, the tribes have a vested interest in protecting the salmon and steelhead runs because these fish are important to them culturally. However, with the the near elimination of commercial salmon off the California coast, these salmon now bring a very good price at the fish market.

Sammy
11-10-2010, 10:35 AM
The Hoopa and Yurok tribes used gillnets within their reservations to take a set amount of fish each year from the Trinity and Klamath rivers. They have been using gillnets for centuries and it is part of their tradition.

State law prohibits the use of gillnets in rivers but these tribes are not subject to State law, they are sovereign and self-governing (more info here http://www.hoopa-nsn.gov/news/selfgovernance.htm). This means that they can legally gillnet for subsistence, cultural and commercial purposes. The amount of fish they can catch is set annually by the Pacific Fisheries Management Council, which is in charge of regulating sport and commercial salmon fishing on the west coast.

This has been a controversial subject for years. There are elements of greed, jealously, racism, and some science in the mix (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1095010/1/index.htm). There has been violence and gunfire. Arguably, the tribes have a vested interest in protecting the salmon and steelhead runs because these fish are important to them culturally. However, with the the near elimination of commercial salmon off the California coast, these salmon now bring a very good price at the fish market.

I had a feeling that was the reason. Wow I had no idea. I see both sides, but what's done is done. (what the settlers did to native americans) Seems like this day and age we should just work together to bring nature back to what it once was. Kind of makes me cringe. This is a real problem

pgw
11-10-2010, 12:03 PM
For additional information, find a copy of Ted William's (the writer, not the Splendid Splinter) book, "Don't Blame The Indians".

Good read, presented in a non-judgemental (nor politically correct/incorrect) manner.

Paul

Mike O
11-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I had a feeling that was the reason. Wow I had no idea. I see both sides, but what's done is done. (what the settlers did to native americans) Seems like this day and age we should just work together to bring nature back to what it once was. Kind of makes me cringe. This is a real problem

If we did that there would have to be a moratorium on fishing for a decade or more. Even catch and release changes nature.

Sammy
11-10-2010, 03:19 PM
If we did that there would have to be a moratorium on fishing for a decade or more. Even catch and release changes nature.

well that won't work for me ;)

Chet Troutpuncher
11-11-2010, 01:57 PM
"Marlon Brando and the Indian Fish-In" is a great article by the late great Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.
It was originally published in The National Observer but then re-published in The Great Shark Hunt. If you don't already own this book you can get it for free at Google Books. Google search author and title. The first search result is the digital version of The Great Shark Hunt.