PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Report

stever
11-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Fished Warrior area Friday, late day, Saturday and Sunday. Friday afternoon was very good with ten fish to the tube in a couple of hours. Saturday was good with seventeen fish throughout the day. Sunday was a bust with the cold front that came in Saturday night. Marking alot of fish with apparent lock jaw. Wind was a problem Sunday. Olive was the color for the day with most fish in the 14 to 25 foot depth range. Average fish around 21-23 inches. One 13 pounder landed in our group. Good time had by all.

Steve

SHigSpeed
11-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Fished Warrior area Friday, late day, Saturday and Sunday. Friday afternoon was very good with ten fish to the tube in a couple of hours. Saturday was good with seventeen fish throughout the day. Sunday was a bust with the cold front that came in Saturday night. Marking alot of fish with apparent lock jaw. Wind was a problem Sunday. Olive was the color for the day with most fish in the 14 to 25 foot depth range. Average fish around 21-23 inches. One 13 pounder landed in our group. Good time had by all.

Steve

In the tube eh? May have to pack my tube along with my ladder this weekend! How far off shore were you fishing? Have a sonar?

Thanks for the info!

_SHig

stever
11-09-2010, 10:42 PM
I have a sonar and it really helps with location of fish. That particular area varies considerably depth wise depending on where in the bay you fish. The area on the main lake side of the point drops off much quicker than the bay or west side. In the bay, west of Warrior Point, 25 foot water is a couple hundred yards off shore with the exception of parallel to the end of the point where it drops fairly quickly. We marked fish in different depths and hooked fish in water from 4 feet to 40 feet deep. Shallow water early in the day and deeper later. If you are going to tube, be very mindful of the wind and currents in the bay. One good leg cramp could lead to a long bobber ride or worse.

Steve

SHigSpeed
11-09-2010, 10:53 PM
I have a sonar and it really helps with location of fish. That particular area varies considerably depth wise depending on where in the bay you fish. The area on the main lake side of the point drops off much quicker than the bay or west side. In the bay, west of Warrior Point, 25 foot water is a couple hundred yards off shore with the exception of parallel to the end of the point where it drops fairly quickly. We marked fish in different depths and hooked fish in water from 4 feet to 40 feet deep. Shallow water early in the day and deeper later. If you are going to tube, be very mindful of the wind and currents in the bay. One good leg cramp could lead to a long bobber ride or worse.

Steve

Yeah, I hear you about being blown a mile across! :) I'll have a good anchor and plenty of rope in case I need to recharge. ;)

So, fast sink and woolies? Beetles? Midges?

I gotta start packing...

_SHig

Digger38
11-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Hope you don't mind me posting here I just did not want to start another Pyramid Report thread. Went with my brother in law to Pyramid again today for about 3 hours in the AM....It was pretty cold this morning low 30's with very little wind. I tied up a few smaller buggers in black and light olive and the fish seemed to love them. Today was the first time I caught fish on my own flies. I caught 4 and Kev caught 1 but between us we must have had 30+ bites. In the last pic you can see what the last fish of the day did to my fly.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/dpsa98/PyramidNov112010008.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/dpsa98/PyramidNov112010006.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/dpsa98/PyramidNov112010005.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/dpsa98/PyramidNov112010004.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/dpsa98/PyramidNov112010010.jpg

SHigSpeed
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Wow, can't believe you whiffed on so many! Where were you fishing?

I'll be hittin' the lake in the morning, hope they're in the mood to play.

_SHig

Scott V
11-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm thinking of going out Saturday, call me on the way home tomorrow shig. Doug if I do go you want to meet me out there.

SHigSpeed
11-11-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm thinking of going out Saturday, call me on the way home tomorrow shig. Doug if I do go you want to meet me out there.

You sure you don't feel a fever coming on? :) I'll call ya with the big numbers. Of course it'll suck on Saturday. ;)

_SHig

Digger38
11-11-2010, 05:33 PM
I know.....I can't beleive we missed that many either. I think part of the reason was I made the tails too long. Every single hit we had was on a long slow stip in. Some of them even came back 2-3x on the same strip in. We saw quite a few follow the fly right to the rod tip. Plus we need to work on our hook setting skills. It was only my brother in laws 5th time out fly fishing at all. We were on the water right at first light and I had my first on the third cast. We were at Pellican Beach and we were the only ones there for the first half of the morning at about 9AM the bite seemed to stop so we just drove to some random beach off the road and hit some more. Good Luck

SHigSpeed
11-11-2010, 05:38 PM
I know.....I can't beleive we missed that many either. I think part of the reason was I made the tails too long. Every single hit we had was on a long slow stip in. Some of them even came back 2-3x on the same strip in. We saw quite a few follow the fly right to the rod tip. Plus we need to work on our hook setting skills. It was only my brother in laws 5th time out fly fishing at all. We were on the water right at first light and I had my first on the third cast. We were at Pellican Beach and we were the only ones there for the first half of the morning at about 9AM the bite seemed to stop so we just drove to some random beach off the road and hit some more. Good Luck

Awesome! I'll probably be hitting Warrior or Pelican first thing - hope I wake up early enough to be there at light.

_SHig

Reno Flytyer
11-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey Digger, thanks for the report. RE: Your fly being obliterated...it doesn't look like you've given it a thread base before tying on the other materials. They won't hold up long if you don't provide a base...just sayin'. Maybe you did...?? Looks like you're going to have a great season out there this year.

Shig says he wants to be there at first light...he'll probablyl beat the sunrise because HE WON'T BE ABLE TO GET ANY SLEEP!!

RFT

SHigSpeed
11-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Hey Digger, thanks for the report. RE: Your fly being obliterated...it doesn't look like you've given it a thread base before tying on the other materials. They won't hold up long if you don't provide a base...just sayin'. Maybe you did...?? Looks like you're going to have a great season out there this year.

Shig says he wants to be there at first light...he'll probablyl beat the sunrise because HE WON'T BE ABLE TO GET ANY SLEEP!!

RFT

Too bad I couldn't sleep on the LEADING edge of my rest. Oh well, got up at the alarm and managed to get to the lake before the sun hit the water, though it was light enough to set up without trouble.

So?

Big, fat, stinky skunk. Got one on and unbuttoned in enough time to realize what was happening and to see the flash and one follow. That's IT! Chucked from a ladder and kicked in a tube (no fish on the sonar). North Nets beach until mid-afternoon and home in time for dinner.

Meh... Still, met up with a great bunch of guys I became acquainted with first this spring and they treated me to a great (and coma inducing) lunch. Maybe that's why I didn't cash in on that fish?

Next time...

_SHig

Specc
11-13-2010, 08:19 AM
The shallow beaches will be tough right now until the water cools off. This colder weather we are having right now should help out. The key to Pryamid right now is to move around to find fish. I will usually fish 45 min. to an hour or so, and if there is no action load up and hit another spot...sometimes just moving down the beach you're already fishing will produce. I even like to find the deeper drop offs and just walk along and cast, it can break up the boredom of casting from your chair in the same spot for 5 or 6 hours.

SHigSpeed
11-13-2010, 10:00 AM
The shallow beaches will be tough right now until the water cools off. This colder weather we are having right now should help out. The key to Pryamid right now is to move around to find fish. I will usually fish 45 min. to an hour or so, and if there is no action load up and hit another spot...sometimes just moving down the beach you're already fishing will produce. I even like to find the deeper drop offs and just walk along and cast, it can break up the boredom of casting from your chair in the same spot for 5 or 6 hours.

Yeah, if I'd been fishing solo I'd've moved, but sometimes fishing with friends and getting skunked is better. Water was 54 - 56 so not too warm but for sure there wasn't a great concentration of fish where we were fishing.

After I left, however, my buddy did hook into a HAWG (10+?) that manage to break him off - and he uses STOUT tippet (IIRC 15-20#).

_SHig

Specc
11-13-2010, 06:17 PM
I wasn't trying to single you out Shig...I know you know your stuff. Just general info for folks coming over to fish Pryamid. I know its a bit farther to drive, but do you guys ever fish the east side of the lake?

SHigSpeed
11-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I wasn't trying to single you out Shig...I know you know your stuff. Just general info for folks coming over to fish Pryamid. I know its a bit farther to drive, but do you guys ever fish the east side of the lake?

No worries! Didn't take it as a jab. :) I hear the east side can be good at the right time, but the roads out are less than perfect.

My "ladder truck" probably wouldn't make it! ;)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5171115930_85bdb9f0ce_z_d.jpg

_SHig

jayclarkflyfishing
11-13-2010, 10:51 PM
I was fishing down the beach from you and there were fish being caught,but not by me.I left around 11 and fished Seperator for a couple hours hooking 2 and missing two other grabs.Black buggers and popcorn beetles.
The popular western beaches all have fish right now.Not a ton but enough to keep one occupied.I have had several reports from a number of beaches and there are fish to be caught.A few over 10 as well.

Jay

catch&release
11-15-2010, 03:17 AM
Its 2am in the morning and just got back from Pyramid. Trying to unwind from 9hour drive. Fishing was tough, ended up with 30 fish in three days and my buddy with 12 for three days work. Fished Warrior first day, landed 7 fish stripping. My buddy wasnt catching anything and wanted to go to Pelican so we went over in the afternoon. He landed 5 and I didnt even get a strike. Fished Blockhouse last hour of day and didnt get a strike stripping. Went back to Warrior next morning, I landed 4 in the morning and he didnt get any. Went to Wino and ended up with 9, nothing on the strip just indicator fishing the drop off! Buddy wanted to go to Pelican the next morning, he landed three and I landed two. Moved back to Wino, I caught 8 and he landed 7, all on the indicator and fishing the drop off.

Tough fishing but cant wait to get back there again!