PDA

View Full Version : Chico era Powell Legacy Light 2pc 9' 4-5wt rod for sale

Rich Morrison
11-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Rod is Sold.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-14-2010, 09:44 AM
We were the Powell dealer in Sacramento when Walton and Press Powell ran the company in Chico.

They made good fly rods for many years...........

I really liked their Powell custom made reel seats which we sold separately to rod builders.

Their finish work was excellent too.

From the time of EC Powell (founder) right up to the time they sold to Charles Swab, it was a great family rod building company.

There is still a large "Powell" influence and history here in Nor Cal.

Rich Morrison
11-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Good words Bill. I grew up in Chico as Walt and then Press were in their heyday. In 1984 (the year of Press' first PRC catalog) I turned 13 and was finally starting to be able to cast a fly rod with some consistency. My Dad knew Walt and always fished his rods. I remember hanging out in the Chico Fly Shop as a kid and coveting all those cool rods on the rack. Fishing with Powells has been, for me, a real conection to those wonderul days growing up in the Nor Cal of the late 70s and early 80s. As you've noticed, I buy and sell a few old Powells and, as you said, most of the interest comes from Northern CA where folks know and appreciate the art and function of the rods from the likes of EC, Walt, Press, and Gene.

RandyS
11-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Just received this rod and the Powell stealhead. Wow, as described and more. Very nice. :):) Thanks Rich.

Randy S