PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Trinity Report

Jeff Fisher
11-08-2010, 09:24 AM
On the river as the sun was coming. Started on a nice stretch between Salyer and Hawkins Bar. Within 5 minutes, first fish to hand on a Biot Poxyback Golden Stone. Fish was dime bright and 18". Got 4 more halfpounders (16-19") in that stretch. All on the stone. Lost an adult fish swinging a woolybugger. One jump and it was gone. Probably around 25" or so.

Higher water didn't allow me to fish the entire stretch, so I drove up the road a bit to Hawkins. It was halfpounder heaven in the deep riffles just upstream from the falls. Landed 7 fish, all hp's, same size range as the others. Stones, copperjohns, and eggs. Saw a few salmon digging redds, but didn't see any fish behind them.

So, all in all, it was a fantastic day for me. Wish I landed the big one, but the hp's kept me happy all day. River was in great shape too. Clear and very wadable.

~J

Jeff C.
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Wish I was there Fisher! I only caught smolts on the American this past weekend. I did see a few salmon in the lower river but they were dark white heads.

EricO
11-08-2010, 04:09 PM
You hit it just right...bet it was brutal in yesterday's rain!

Can't wait to get up there.

EO

joshfish
11-08-2010, 07:20 PM
EO, i fished it yesterday in the junction city area. it was muddy from canyon creek down but clear above that. we fished from 7:30-12:30 and the only rain we got was a little drizzle for about 15 minutes.

thepeacockspecial
11-09-2010, 02:09 PM
was also there this past weekend. it was super slow in the indian creek area to skunk point. didnt havethe chance to fish downstream more... wish i did though.. dead slow on nymphs. ok on swingin flies.

Frank Pipgras
11-09-2010, 04:33 PM
I fished the Junction City area last Friday and Saturday with a friend plus guide Mike Hibbard. There were good fish in the system and they were big. We caught and released our share and the catch was running 70% wild and 30% hatchery. A couple of the fish were bigger than anything I have seen here in 25 years. No descriptions because I do not wish to be flamed. This is what may be happening. The big 3 day storm the previous weekend blew the river out and blew the Hoopa nets out on the Trinity. These are 5" gill nets. Good size steelhead can swim through the five inches but really big ones get caught and killed like salmon by the Hoopa. Our guide thinks the really large fish had a window with the nets down

thepeacockspecial
11-10-2010, 10:14 AM
hey frank

glad u had a good weekend. wwre u guys on an indicator? i think i was just in the wrong location, but it was just dead on an indo for me

Frank Pipgras
11-10-2010, 05:08 PM
hey frank

glad u had a good weekend. wwre u guys on an indicator? i think i was just in the wrong location, but it was just dead on an indo for me

Yes, indicator fishing with a typical set up being 3X flour tippet to a #8 stonefly with rubberlegs followed by 4X flour tippet to a #12 Red Copper John.

thepeacockspecial
11-10-2010, 05:40 PM
sigh. couldnt go down further cause my buddies didnt feel like driving down the extra 40 mins. :( lol.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-10-2010, 11:21 PM
I made a thousand cast Monday and Tuesday and caught one frisky Half-pounder..........am I crazy?

You bet..........

Did I love it.......

you bet.

Swing on you crazy Steelheaders.

__________________________________________________ ________________

Now today Bruce Bertagna was being guided by Jason Hartwick this morning (Wednesday) and caught an 8 pound chrome wild hen on the first run they fished below Junction City.

Bruce was swing flies...........how crazy.