PDA

View Full Version : My personal life's mission statement

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I have been in the retail fishing tackle business for 45 years now in Sacramento.

My life's goal has been to single handedily ruin every good fly fishing destination that I can.

First it was just in California, then Oregon and Nevada.

With the onset of the Internet I am able to destroy fisheries that I will never see.

I am only letting everyone know about my dastardly life plan now because I am near retirement.

I guess I should have confessed this many years ago but then people might have figured me out.

I have made millions of dollars in this highly lucrative business of fly fishing that only fly shop owners would really know about.

After buying up most of the commercial property within 1,000 miles I can now just sit back and enjoy the few years I have left mostly golfing and naked hang gliding.

**Well, I am headed to the Trinity River today so I can get more info about the river and with the help of the Internet, send thousands of fly fishing and convention anglers there so they can completely destroy that river.......once and for all. I will be posting maps of the river with every good run that holds fish highlighted so the impact will be completely devastating.

Jgoding
11-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Bill....Did you give OregonSalmon your password?? Yeah, you absolutely ruined the American for me.... I saw so many anglers fishing my runs after you encouraged everyone to fish for half-pounders....on every outting I saw all of..........well let me see....absolutely no one.... Wait, I got it, they were fishing all the good spots you told them about, that must be it.

Phil Synhorst
11-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Bill....Did you give OregonSalmon your password??

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Scott V
11-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Did it all of a sudden become April 1st? I thought we set the clocks back and hour, not an hour and a bunch of months and days.

Mike O
11-07-2010, 11:02 AM
NOOOOooooOOOO!!! Don't send millions of people to the Trinity, where they can hire guides who don't give a damn about anyone but their sports, and people will stand shoulder to shoulder in the best runs, and.....ummm....waitaminit....ohhhh Nevermind.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-07-2010, 12:40 PM
I heard the Feds have control over how many hatchery fish the state of CA can plant in the Trinity River now. Maybe to protect the wild stocks?

I heard that it was maybe 60% less fish planted than in pass years.

The reality is that the big deal with the Trinity River Steelheading might be over, for now.

It will just be another river that has some trout, some salmon and some Steelhead.

All is well.............it will take a few years for the Trinity River reputation to fade away.

BillB
11-07-2010, 05:24 PM
I have made millions of dollars in this highly lucrative business of fly fishing that only fly shop owners would really know about.

Okay, so you started with 2 million and now have 1 right? That is the way you become a millionaire in the fly shop business I've heard! Glad someone is getting rich out there! Have fun.

joshfish
11-07-2010, 06:26 PM
have fun on the T bill. i was over there today. water was high and muddy below canyon creek. above canyon creek was clear and a little high. fished 7:30-12:30 for nada. talked to a few guys in boats and they said it was slow for them.

Tracy Chimenti
11-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Bill, your success in business is a testament to your great personality and hospitality at your shop. You make all of us feel special. You and your staff are efficient, but most of all, you all do something really neat... You show sincere interest in and listen to your customers. I hate to say it, but the only way we're going to save these great resources, is to promote them. We need anglers out there. John Champion, the old Cal-Trout streamkeeper for the Truckee told me something when I was becoming paranoid over angling pressure while promoting land trades in the Wild and Scenic American River...

"Hey... sometimes you have to kill it to save it." You haven't spoiled anything, Bill.

When youget back you're gonna have to get with the homies and cut that new rap album, rich boy!

oldtrout
11-07-2010, 11:05 PM
"I have made millions of dollars in this highly lucrative business of fly fishing that only fly shop owners would really know about."

If that's the case then you certainly couldn't mind lending me some money so that I could finally purchase the 4x4 truck I've always wanted. Not a big truck, a Tacoma or Ranger will do. Oh, and money for gas!

PS
A drift boat w/ trailer would be nice towed behind my new truck, so you may as well loan me money for that too.

Hairstacker
11-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Bill, I didn't know you were into naked hang gliding. Just as well I suppose.

OceanSunfish
11-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Ha!

Yeah, it was you plus the lady (can't recall her name) from 20 years ago that was pushing to have the Summer Olympics in the Bay Area so she could, "show everyone/the world what a beautiful place the Bay Area is" and how smart she is to live there........ ugh.

Congrats on pending retirement.

Seriously, Bob Franco (Fishing Machine) finally got so fed up and left HMB for the Northwest and with you headed out to Florida (?) .... I guess the writing is on the wall with regards to our sportfishing here in CA.

Thanks alot! <grin/wink>

Frank Roepke
11-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Bill,

For some reason I have been thinking about your post of your Personal Mission Life Statement. Based on my life experience, I have found what we don’t give away, we can not keep. I find more enjoyment out of what I can share with others than keeping it myself.
With this in mind, I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences, places you have touched, and success you have enjoyed along the way.
Due to your forum and friendly store environment I would not have reconnected with fly fishing. I would not have purchased my last few rods, and most of all, would not be introducing my 12 year old daughter into fly fishing.

Thank you Bill and keep making it happen!

Frank Roepke

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Thanks Frank....I am glad you found fly fishing and that you are a nice active member of our BB.

Tony Buzolich
11-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Frank.

That is a profound statement "what we don't give away,we can not keep". You hit it right on the head about sharing with others. kind of reminds me of that Christmas verse about "the joy of giving". There's an inner warmth that comes with giving and knowing you've helped some one else improve their life and made things just a little bit better for them.
TONY