PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake (Thursday)

Tracy Chimenti
11-06-2010, 11:17 AM
A long time buddy of mine and I fished Davis Thursday, and after a tenous ride (Blew uni-belt going up D. Summit and played hell finding a working hose in Truckee after replacing it), got on the lake at 9:30AM.

Fished Lightning Tree cove with crappie jigs-- water was flat calm and the crappie jigs seem to do well in these conditions. First fish I caught was a sunken-gutted, emaciated rainbow of about 17-inches, covered with bugs. Throughout the morning and early afternoon, most fish caught were nothing over 16-inches, most 12- to 14. Some were clean and pretty, but the fish are definitely not the ones I caught here 17-years ago. I also noticed the lack of snails. In fact, the bug life was pretty non-descript. In the evening there were schools of catchables midging and we caught them with abandon in and around Cow Creek on prince nymphs. Also caught a few to 16-inches on streamers while wading. Two biggest fish I saw were a couple of 17- to 18-inchers cruising the flats near Freeman. The lake is definitely still in the recovery mode and I think I've about had it for this year. I really hope DFG doesn't flood the lake with catchables next year. It's my guess this may be the reason for the general skinnyness and copepods on the fish. Floating line and 20-foot leaders.

Troutstalker55B
11-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Tracy,

None the less I'm glad you got to experience the fantastic, warm weather we had all week! I was out there Monday through Friday, and the skinny water game was so good. I have found all my biggest rainbows (18"-22"), and most colorful and clean (like the greenbacks of old) in a foot of water. Smaller fish are running in pods, and the big fish - Those guys are loners feeding in quiet waters. I have had the best dry fly fishing this fall at the lake than the last 15 years, just incredible!

The fall colors are blazing up there right now, the willows are so gorgeous! For me, Lake Davis is such a special place – Home sweet home.

Jon.

OceanSunfish
11-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Tracy,

The fall colors are blazing up there right now, the willows are so gorgeous! For me, Lake Davis is such a special place – Home sweet home.

Jon.

It is a very special place. I experieced several early and late fall days up that way. The crisp air, colorful vegitation, and serene lake conditions are spectacular. Add in fish conditions of yesteryear and it would again be absolutely exceptional with few other places on earth like it.....

Tracy Chimenti
11-07-2010, 09:43 AM
I know it will come back to it's pre-eminence. And it truly is a special lake. When I was out there on the water, I could feel my blood pressure dropping-- the sound of the grebes dabbling in the moss, distant mallards, and a lake with no water skiers (ever)... it really is s special place. Wish I would have had a few more days. In a few years, she'll be back. I just hope DFG manages it for size and not numbers.