PDA

View Full Version : Private stillwater trout fishing.....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-04-2010, 08:39 PM
http://www.eaglecanyontrout.com/

Top Nor Cal fly fishing guide Andrew Harris is running a private stillwater trout fishery out of Red Bluff, CA.

Woodman
11-05-2010, 01:23 AM
With no disrespect to anyone (hopefully)...I find this website disturbing. The fish handling instructions are clearly geared towards keeping the fish in good shape for the next clients they are going to sell them to. "Due to the extreme value of these fish..." , in other words, they cost us a lot of money.

The testimonials, while they may be true, make me wonder who wants to go here..."We were able to land 90 fish (in one day). The smallest 5 lbs. and the largest was 16 1/2 lbs.... "

Maybe it's just me. I've never caught a 16.5 pound trout (and I'm not even sure how it was measured that accurately given the handling instructions), and I don't think I've caught 90 fish a day (even in Alaska), nor do I think I could I count that high. I have, however, fished rivers where I fished hard all day to catch one 9 pounder. Maybe I'm just not that bright...

Consider that I may just be jealous, but I also can't recall ever catching a trout with that many wrinkles.

Interesting post when juxtaposed against the "becoming a better flyfisher" thread" in another category.

I'm concerned about what this says for the future of our sport. Why spend a lot of public money preserving natural waterways and fisheries when it's this easy to grow freakishly large trout.

Stepping down off my soapbox now...as always, just my $0.02

Bob Laskodi
11-05-2010, 11:57 AM
It is the old Mt Lassen facility. It is the rearing facility for several pay to play lakes!!!! So you can also pay to play them before they get shipped out to get payed to be played some more!!!!!! BTW, it does offer fantastic "catching" opportunities, but I'm not quite sure if I consider it a "fishing" opportunity any more than I'd consider fishing in a hatchery a true "fishing" opportunity!!! To each his own I guess.

Scott V
11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I would like to fish there but I can not afford $200 for a day of fishing. Maybe if I start putting away my change now I can do it in a year or so.

Any idea what breed mix they are, are they like Donaldson's?

Dave E.
11-05-2010, 02:35 PM
So it is.
I was there several times in the nineties on behalf of a shop I was affiliated with and a couple of times, in an attempt to corrupt a few otherwise stalwart angling friends.
As I remember it, those that fished Mt. Lassen Trout with or through us, had a great time there and always knew going in, exactly what the place was and was not.

I've got album pages filled with goofy grinned anglers ( both novice and seasoned ) showing off big ole sloppy fish from that place. I still remember the original VHS promo tape featuring Rob Cooper's voice over and Steppenwolf's, Born to Be Wild sound track. When we cranked that video up at the ISE show in San Mateo the isle in front of our booth would come to a complete standstill. That and submersing our wading gear, fins and tubes into that milky solution before entering the lakes.
What a hoot, glad to see others will be getting a chance to experience it for themselves.

Good times, Dave