PDA

View Full Version : Flow surprise on the Yuba. Believe it or not?

royewest
10-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Someone hoping to enjoy a little low-water fishing below Hwy 20 on the Yuba must have been surprised on 10/25:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?ENG

Do we think this is true? Any idea why they did this, if so, and what is the impact on spawning fish, fisherfolks, boats, other innocent bystanders?

DFrink
10-29-2010, 07:55 AM
If you look at the inflow from the day before (from the storms on Sat and Sun) my guess would be they let water out because of so much coming in?

Bob Laskodi
10-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Yes, it's true. To support salmon migrations, irrigation districts (ID) are experimenting with short duration, minor magnitude increased flows to try and facilitate upstream movement of fish throughout CV rivers. This program has been on going for a few years, but because of lack of water in previous years, not much has been done. Not every ID participates in this, and they only do it when sufficient water reserves are available.

Mike R
10-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Yep it's true. I saw it with my own peepers. They probably released some water from the dam to account for the storm, but Deer Creek got pumping as well, which will pop in some water below the dam.

I wouldn't worry too much about the salmon. I don't think this flow was high enough to scour too many redds.

Mike

GoldenStone
10-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Anyone know if the Lower Stan, Tuol or Merced supposed to get it also?

Bob Laskodi
10-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Yes, to all of the above. In fact, the three rivers you named are the one's that do the "salmon flows" the most, in order to meet a minimum flow and temperature level downstream at Vernalis.

troutbm
10-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Anyone know if the Lower Stan, Tuol or Merced supposed to get it also?

Lower stan. had a big pulse of flow about a week or so ago. Its back down but dosen't matter its closed till jan. 1st. i figured the pulses are being used to help get the salmon moving up the valley rivers.

royewest
11-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the interesting and useful replies.