PDA

View Full Version : Development....

Darian
10-28-2010, 01:34 PM
In an article in todays SacBee, it was reported that AKT Development (Angelo Tsakapoulos{?} ) is in the process of purchasing the Conaway Ranch in Yolo County. Check it out:

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/10/14/3103168/yolo-countys-massive-conaway-ranch.html?storylink=lingospot_related_articles

This represents acquisition of 17 thousand plus acres of ranch land a large portion of which is on the Yolo Bypass with associated water rights. As yet, AKT has not disclosed what it's plan for the land is. This purchase is raising concerns on the county council in a county where development has generally been welcomed. The potential for negative environmental impacts is very high. :confused:

huntindog
10-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Yolo county is most concerned that the land will be taken out of ag and used as mitigation for ES and wetland impacts elseware (loss of tax revenue). I have heard through others i know in the business that he intends to use it as a mitigation site. As such i have mixed emotions. It would be nice to have that area preserved as natural habitat, though i can't imagine that some of it would not get developed.

Darian
12-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Update on Conaway Ranch,... The SacBee reports "the deal approved." Check it out:

www.sacbee.com/2010/12/21/3272247/why-conaway-ranch-is-vital-part.html

This all sounds pretty good. Unless they already have, SAFCA will still have something to say about all this.

The downside of all of this is that LAMWDs demand for water deliveries may result in increased pressure for pumping water through the Delta. Westlands already owns 3,000 acres in the bypass. Like Westlands, LAMWD is seeking land to purchase in the By-Pass. Between the two, these water Districts have improved their right to demand water from/through the Delta and an increased status as a stakeholder in constructing a new peripheral canal/tunnel.

Just a thought, If the waterways of this state are re-engineered any further, we'll begin to see dutch water engineers coming here to learn new canal/tunnel building techniques instead of the other way around.