PDA

View Full Version : Talk about action

jerry from sac
10-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Hey!
All you sharp fly tyers check this video out and let's have a discussing about how this guy get this fly to wiggle like this.
-
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hy1CzoJtek&feature=related

joshfish
10-27-2010, 07:50 PM
the fly has a bill on it like a crankbait. the plastic bill is what makes it move like that.

Darian
10-27-2010, 10:32 PM
As joshfish mentioned, there is a bill or lip prepared and attached to the front of the flie or bug to create the wiggling action (just like a lure/plug). The material used is Clear Cure Goo (CCG); UV cured urethane based. One of the problems that I've seen in my own experiments is that the longer the fly, the less effective the lip is. The length (or maybe the density of the materials used) appears to dampen the wiggling movement. :-k There are other lips manufactured for this purpose available in fly shops but none I've seen that worked as well as this. 8)

CCG can be formed by the use of a mold and curing with specified UV light (not the UV Knot Sense light) or the sun, as in a related video. Jay Murakoshi has been experimenting with forming the bill or lip for his bass flies using a notched piece of heavy paper instead of the mold (same purpose, tho). :D

Jay Murakoshi
10-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Jerry,

Definitely the plastic diving bill. I have the same set up on my CB divers except I don't attach the plastic bill to the hook shank. If you go to my web site and click on the on line store page, you'll see the CB Diver.
I'm presently shooting some fly tying DVD's and this will be one of the flies that will be offered. I also made a proposal to Chuck Furimsky owner of the Fly Fishing Show to have a Classes With the Experts program on "tying and stacking deer hair" From what I heard (so far), it sounds like it will be a "GO". The Dahlberg diver and the CB diver will be the two flies taught in this class. Keep an eye opened for the class schedule.
Back to the fly..... This bill is designed just like the crank bait and top water lures they use on the conventional plugs. When using the plastic diving bills, the thing to remember is the longer the "bill" the deeper it will dive, so the shorter the shallower it will dive. Now, the angle at which you attach it will determine the angle on how the fly runs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/DSC_3001-1.jpg
This is one of my stacked deer patterns that incorporates the plastic diving bill. This acts like a top water floating minnow. Slides side to side and dives very shallow.
I also have some top water EZ body minnow patterns with props attached

All these flies, especially the CB Diver works great on roosters, jacks and dorado. I use a LC 13 head to take the fly under and then two hand retrieve. The draw back about the salt water game, the fly will last two maybe three fish

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
10-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Opps, forgot, the lip used in the video is called a "fly lip" Don't know who it's manufactured by. I have my plastic lips made here in Fresno. I also have them in two different sizes.

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
10-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Here's a quickie photo of the diving bills that I had manufactured. The smaller ones are 1/2"x1" the larger ones are 3/4"x1".
They will not break or split

Jay

Hairstacker
10-28-2010, 03:14 PM
What a great looking fly . . . lots of hair stacks in that one -- very nice! :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-01-2010, 12:21 PM
We will have the 'Clear Cure Goo' products in stock at Kiene's Fly Shop this week.

I guess it is really good stuff.....