PDA

View Full Version : Small Streams still good?

fj40
10-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Any idea how the small streams have faired with the recent colder and wet weather. Talking rivers/streams above 6000. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Much!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-28-2010, 09:03 AM
I think it is nearing the end with the onset of winter at that elevation for most of us but it could be very good still.

The next big storm should drop enough snow to make access the issue in many places.

People fish some of the Truckee River all winter along with Putah Creek west of Davis, CA.

Many lakes will still be good in the winter.

Popular fly fishing winter lakes are Almanor, Eagle, Pyramid and Baum but I am sure hundreds of others are doing well too.

jesse hernandez
11-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I went fishing on 6nov10 and had a 8 fish day. Started the day assuming the ice cold water would put the fish to sleep and intent on just hiking. No luck at top water fishing; however, the '' brassie'' was the money shot. Lots hooks-ups but landed 8 maybe more(lost count. Very heavy rain or snow clouds looming all day) I also used Mr. Cutter's "cheating" tip and it worked like a charm. Season ends soon gentelmen dont give up yet!

troutbm
11-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Pretty much game over at this point. First real storm and snowfall of the year this weekend. Time for tailwaters and steelies !

Frank R. Pisciotta
11-11-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm not familiar with Ralph's "cheating" tip and I'm a follower of his interesting theories & techniques....personally needing any edge to dupe a trout.

Is it available for general consumption? Or more directly..."What is it?"

...curious

Frank R. Pisciotta

Mark Kranhold
11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Fished the middle fork of the feather river last weekend. My brothers and i had a good time swinging sculpin and wolly buggers with a strip in method. We all landed some nice 14" chunky rainbows, I was mainly on the hunt for some big browns. Maybe next year.

Troutstalker55B
11-11-2010, 06:28 PM
fyshhead,

For big browns on the MFFR, try between Graeagle and Beckworth. Big pools, the bridge at Clio, and the mouth of Grizzly Creek is where you are going to find them. They love crayfish patterns. Stoked you got into some fish before the closure.

Jon.

Frank Roepke
11-11-2010, 10:59 PM
The regulations state NFA, MFA, Rubicon, SFA, etc… are open after Nov 15th, zero limit.
What is Mr. Cutter's "cheating" tip?

Frank

Ralph
11-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Jesse-
How did you cheat? I'm guessing using a subsurface indicator or a bump drift? Hopefully not SJ shuffle or snagging with a pegged bead!

Mark Kranhold
11-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey Troutstalker Thanks , I love Clio area. We were winterizing our cabin in Cromberg and just popped out for a few hours at Sloat. I do need to fish Grizzly creek area more often tho. I got broke off by a big fish at Clio once before, major bummin factor. Next time I'll get em. I've heard there are Small mouth in the canyon at Clio too, is that true? The trout this year seemed to be a lot more chunky, is that your expereince?

Troutstalker55B
11-12-2010, 06:02 PM
The rainbows in the MFFR this year seem average to me, but you will get thicker and bigger fish when you use meat and potato flies. There is a awesome small mouth fishery from Clio upstream to Beckworth, but I have yet to tap into it, so much water so little time. I really like the carp fishing though, such a challenge!

Jon.

jesse hernandez
11-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Absolutely, sub-surface indicaters. Painted my spilt shot a very bright red color above my flies. With keen focus watched the red-indicator "move" and bam. Worked like a charm. One of the best tips for small stream fishing i've ever heard. All fish were trophies in my book. Thanks Mr Ralph Cutter. P.s. If he is out there(Mr. Cutter)-If you sold that "Fish lies, Trout Behavior" seminar on DVD you would make millions$. Thanks again.

jesse hernandez
11-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Whats the SJ shuffle? Never heard that before. Anyone

Fochetti
11-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Jesse,

Check out Ralph's DVD Bugs of the Underworld or his book Fish Food. You be amazed at how much you can learn from him, great stuff.

Oh, and The Truckee, Little Truckee, East Carson, and East Walker all fish great throughout the winter. They are all in good shape right now and can access all. Truckee and East Walker are probably the best of them in the winter months.

John