PDA

View Full Version : Any trout in the AR near Lotus?

Woodman
10-27-2010, 12:33 PM
My son has a soccer tournament at a park in Lotus this weekend, with several hours between games...

All input will be greatly appreciated.

John W.

IronMtn
10-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Not really...

In 2004 a snorkel survey in the Coloma stretch of the SFA found 14 catchable trout (length >= 6 in.) per mile. That's 1 trout every 377 ft...

I have caught A fish down by camp lotus before, but that was 15 years ago with a spinner.

Beautiful river... not a lot of trout...

sierraholic
10-28-2010, 07:58 AM
I have had luck there a few years ago. Every fish I caught (6"-16") were super skinny, eel-like. I fished from Greenwood Creek to about a mile downstream (hut like structure on shore of AR). Be careful wading along there. I went out to a small island to fish a riffle from a better angle. In one hour, the river rose a foot and I was trapped. Luckily a good samaritan kayaker saved me from calling search and rescue (or waiting for hours in the dark for the water to drop). The dam upstream lets out water frequently, especially for the rafters.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-28-2010, 08:44 AM
I guess because of the hydro demands that river goes from 500 to 1500 daily which we believe killed all the insect life.

There are some trout in there but not many.

A friend of mine use to use a sinktip with a black woolly bugger in the riffles while floating it in a raft.

chicowildcat
11-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Went up there to shoot some video this past weekend. The flow changes are ridiculous, I flipped lots of rocks, not a visable bug on them.