PDA

View Full Version : Klamath and other north coast rivers

Rick J
10-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Bruce and I hit the lower Klamath on Saturday - it was showery and rainy most of Friday night but the river was in good shape and still low - it was great day!! We caught fish at every place we stopped and saw only 2 other boats on the river and no fly guys. We probably had 30 fish total - mostly half pounders though a couple of those were upwards to 18+" small adults, three small salmon and a cutthroat. Rain held off until around 3. I had wanted to camp out on the river but based on the forecast we decided not to - good option as by early teh next morning the river had come up 1000 cfs and this morning i see it is up to 30,000 cfs!!!!

That was not a typical light October storm - I see that Willits got over 6" of rain. Driving home Sunday morning, the lower Eel was still low and fishable but by the time I got up towards Redway, the south fork was raging mud. I checked the gauges when I got home and the flows in the lower river were around 1200 cfs and up at Legget 8000 cfs!! So that slug of water had not reached downriver. This should really move some fish around and if the storms hold off we might get some good late fall fishing!