PDA

View Full Version : Frenchman??

GoldenStone
10-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Reading a lot about Davis, but any word on Frenchman?

betty
10-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Fished Frenchman's this last Wed all day, and Thurs morning. Wed very good, Thurs morning lousy. Fished cove adjacent to main boat launch at foot of campground. Fish in 9-12 feet of water, mostly. Used sheep creek and other similar flies. Fish mostly in the 12-16 inch range. Only couple larger, up to 18" for three of us. Very healthy fish.
Betty

GoldenStone
10-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks Betty. I gotta get out there before too cold.

Troutstalker55B
11-18-2010, 08:34 AM
The drive up to Frenchmans out of the town of Chilcoot is stunning this time of year, a little fall color left, and when you get to the canyon, the spectacle of the rock formations will stop you in your tracks. I had to do a photo shoot for an upcoming presentation with the San Jose Flycasters (March 9th, 2011) and thought what the heck I'll wet a line. I went to my go to spot, Snallygaster on the north west shore and the first thing I saw was some very low water levels, the lowest I have ever seen it. Water temps were 46.3 degrees and the lake was glass. I fished for a half hour from the bank and not a single bump. "The fish are not here" I said and drove up and around to Crystal Point. When I got down to the water I immediately saw a fish tailing in ankle deep water, and with one cast I had a hook up. For the next two hours I had fish rising right in front of me, there was no reason to move. I fished a Jay Fair trolling fly in brown on a #6 3xl hook, yep....BIG & UGLY! The fish liked a fast retrieve with plenty of pauses. I would cast to a tailing trout and you would think it would spook, but it boiled the fly! The takes were fierce and aggressive and I was glad I had 3x tippet on. I hooked and landed 17 fish 17-22", many fish were 3 pounders, and 1 gorgeous fish at 4 pounds. These fish are way bigger and much more beautiful than the fish at Lake Davis right now. I felt bad for the general fishing public as every hook up I had my blue heeler Madison would just go ballistic with the barking, then he would hear his echo thinking it was another dog and keep barking - He really is a nutcase, But I love him. I don't fish Frenchmans that much as Lake Davis is only 12 miles from the house, but with the quality of the fish I saw today I will be back - If mother nature allows me to.

Jon.

Scott V
11-18-2010, 09:36 AM
The drive up to Frenchmans out of the town of Chilcoot is stunning this time of year, a little fall color left

Just like the drive up to Indian Creek near Markleville last weekend, it was beautiful with all the fall colors. Should be all white after this weekend I am guessing.

Let it snow let it snow let it snow.

Reno Flytyer
11-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Scott, the drive to ICR pales in comparison to the drive up the canyon Frenchman. I understand how beautiful the fall colors can be, but there isn't any area close to Reno that compares with this canyon.

Jon, tell the truth, the fishing at Frenchman wasn't anywhere near that good. You're the Troy Palomalu of fly fishing. ;o)

RFT

ps Happy birthday! (A little belated)

Troutstalker55B
11-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks Mike, I just got lucky and found a pod. That canyon is so cool it's almost creepy.
I hope I can get up there again before it locks up solid with ice and snow, and now I get to put on the chains and the blade for the quad cuase the snow is coming.

Jon.

Scott V
11-18-2010, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Reno Flytyer;89652]Scott, the drive to ICR pales in comparison to the drive up the canyon Frenchman. I understand how beautiful the fall colors can be, but there isn't any area close to Reno that compares with this canyon.[QUOTE]

I have yet to go to Fenchman, and now you have made it to where I want to go there now.

Fochetti
11-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Try a size 14 or 16 pheasant tail with a moderate strip on a floating or intermediate line, shhh.