PDA

View Full Version : watch your step!

Larry S
10-18-2010, 10:07 AM
San Diego fly fisherman died last week from a rattlesnake bite.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/oct/15/la-jolla-man-dies-rattlesnake-bite/

Larry S

DFrink
10-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Rattle snakes spook the crap out of me! I was bitten when I was a kid, ever since I can't stand them. Sounds like this guy may have had an allergy to the venom. Sad story.

Pound
10-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Over the summer I was on the McCloud, July I think, and in 2.5 days of fishing we counted 8 rattlers... and dozens of others (2 diff Garters, racers, gophers..etc...) It was insane! And FYI, so was the fishing.

Then I was there about a month ago, and saw none, and the fishing was proportionally worse as well.

Both times were on and around the Conservancy.

tallguy
10-19-2010, 03:24 PM
I find the East Carson is rattler heaven. In 10 or so years of fishing there, I have seen probably over 20 rattlers, including one memorable day when I saw 4 different ones!! Also had one big one take a half hearted swing toward me there, pretty damn scary! There are many times when you can be walking along that streamside brush and rock, and if you look around, rattlers are sitting there, not moving or making noise, but there if you look. Also, once the sun drops off the river and behind the canyon walls, many rattlers will come out and sit on the dark rock near the river to soak up heat, sometimes right on the waters edge. Watch your hands on those late afternoons, and if you have a fear of the buzzworms, stay away from the Carson!

Rick J
10-19-2010, 04:05 PM
a few years ago, Bill and I and 2 others signed up for a Grand Ronde trip with Scott O and Mike M. The week before on their float trip, Scott was chasing his springer spaniel up a cliff and got bit on the finger and had to be floated out on one of the rafts - took most of the day to get him to help - he ended up in the hospital for several days and missed our trip - they had to scramble to get another guide to work with Mike.

Scott still does not have much feeling in that finger though he was pretty lucky