PDA

View Full Version : Bill Forward and Phil Rowley's Stillwater Seminar.....

hikenfish
10-17-2010, 06:12 PM
.......was really great, probably the best $75 I spent in my fishing career, and a chance to meet two very fine gentlemen that have been at it for awhile.
The Friday night feature (scheduled for 3 hours, but extended due to audience interest), covered a wealth of information delivered in an incredible way so that a diverse group of folks (some new to stillwaters and float tubes, to veterans with about 50 years of fishing) could understand all subjects covered. Paramount on the agenda was fly fishing midges either under an indicator or a long leader with a dry line. Of course, a few other methods were mentioned also.
I was particularly impressed on Saturday morning as Phil Rowley patiently spent one on one time with a person on casting the setup down on the lake. We all got to rifle and drool though his beautiful fly tie patterns. Bill and Phil challenged the group of folks to apply knowledge that we absorbed from their teachings (and to try something new) as we struck out on our own on the lake. It was then reviewed after the fishing effort each individual's results, which made for a unique and interesting end of the day. I'll say they worked very hard to help everyone out, and in a true sportsman's way showed a genuine concern in a chipper manner to fulfill each persons needs the entire time. High points illustrated to me was the incredible way the professionals quickly identified food items being eaten by the trout in a timely manner, and then present a pattern really close to the natural in a wind line to pick up 10 fish one after the other!

Terry Imai
10-17-2010, 09:45 PM
I agree 100% with the above post. Being familar with Phil Rowley's work, I knew this stillwater seminar was a steal at the $75 price. We had a four hour evening discussion and another three-four lake lecture and demo. Total kudos to Bill Forward for putting the most informational seminar I've ever experienced. If you have been fishing for a while, it takes an extraordinary packet of instruction to get you geared up and improve your fishing.

I got to fish the Friday morning and met a nice beginning fly fisherman who knocked them dead the previous day while being mentored by a significantly experienced local fly fisherman. He provided the info on the hot bug and presentation and set me off on my merry way. I mentioned the class and since he had the time and wanted to get the info sought out Bill to get signed for that evening's class. Fishing conditions were not the same on that Friday as it was for the newbie on Thursday but I made a few adjustments and had a pretty good day. The new guy did have a tough day and I met up at the shore when leaving for the evening class and mentioned a few things that I did to pick up the fish. He didn't realize how these small things could make such a change. After Bill and Phil's presentations, he told me he got so much info to take on to the next time he goes fishing.

In summary, I would highly recommend these future seminars for anyone interested in improving their stillwater techniques.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-18-2010, 06:44 AM
I think Bill Forward is already thinking of something for next year.

Randy Shelton
10-27-2010, 09:24 AM
It sure was a great seminar. Thanks to you I learned and absorbed a vast amount of information in a short time. I spent the last 7 days floating on the lake applying the tactics we learned with great success. Terry, please give me a call.

Thanks again,

Randy Shelton
530 409 0655